on 21 June 2017
good read
on 14 March 2014
Fairy lore has always interested me, but it's hard to find good books with accurate information. Modern authors have relegated fairies to the astral realm because they don't really believe they can be real physical beings, and, if they haven't experienced a sighting themselves but are self appointed experts, then the astral realm is quite useful to explain the phenomena that other people have experienced. My own experience was very real and physical, likewise there are many others who have seen creatures as solid flesh and blood. I find this whole new agey thing a bit patronizing.

Like most pagan authors, the author is writing for a pagan audience, so christianity is portrayed as being the only religion that doesn't accept fairies. Nevermind Robert Kirk then! Also, annoyingly she has decided that every mythological creature in every non christian religion is a fairy - from the Greek Pantheon to the horned god. Even chi energy from feng shui is somehow integrated. Then there's the obligatory mention of the burning times and how we were once a matriarchal society...don't these authors ever really study history?

What topped it off was her claim that the north of England, right up to Scotland is called Yorkshire! If she can't even look at a map and get her geography right, then I doubt anything else she has to say is very accurate. I have a feeling that when these authors write these books they just read other books by similar authors and never do proper research.
on 27 May 2002
Whilst I found this to be an excellent book full of information about faery folk, it also had some very wrong information that the author stated as fact. I nearly fell off my chair when she said Yorkshire was the most northern county in England! Well lets just ignore the other counties inbetween Yorkshire and Scotland then shall we?!
I also believe that a well built site of enormous earthworks circles (I think in N. Ireland)that she refers to, is actually a Neolithic causewayed enclosure not a faery ring as she stated.
Elf shot arrows made of stone as well are usually of Paleolithic/Neolithic origin and not the former property of elves(again this is my personal feeling). Interestingly enough at the time of the Anglo Saxons, a sharp pain in the body or stitch in the side was thought to be caused by invisible arrows from the elves or 'devils helpers' as christianistion took over.
Enough of the lectures although wrong information that is easy to check and verify does let me worry about her other information and guidance. Is she certain that particular friendly faery is actually friendly? There's only one way to find out!
I'm Wiccan and a mature student studying archaeology. I did find the book a very good read despite the errors and I really value the fae folk dictionary at the back which I have not seen anywhere else. Interesting book.
on 14 May 2004
This book is most valuable for the several sections that integrate Wiccan pathworking with faeries. Particularly useful is the guided meditation into Faerieland, which is quite an original piece of work. McCoy also blurs the distinction between meeting faeries on the Astral plane and in the physical world, which is probably pitched just about right. Faeries are ultimately remnants from our own collective subconscious (or whatever you'd like to call it) and are quite real when encountered in an altered state, but such altered states needn't be too far out of the physical world. The 'Working with Faery Beings' section is thus quite helpful, especially for Pagans following solitary paths. However, this only just makes the book worth its asking price. As another reviewer points out, there are some pretty awful factual errors in the text that are cringeworthy: apparently Yorkshire borders Scotland (p.29), James I was king of England from 1567-1625 (p.28), and best of all Chaucer was the author of Beowulf!!!! (p.323). Well maybe he was on the astral plane, but these kind of errors do not give the reader much confidence in some of McCoy's other pronouncements. The dictionary of faeries is useful for non-British/Irish elementals, but if you want to know about British faeries there is no better place to start than Katherine Briggs' Encyclopedia, which is more detailed and authoritative. Overall a useful addition to pagan faery literature, but only in parts.
on 27 August 2000
I'm not a witch or even into wicca at all, but of the dozen or so faerie books I've read recently, this is probably the best. It actually amounts to two books in one. The first half of the book is full of useful and interesting info, and the second is a dictionary of faery creatures worldwide. Highly Recommended.
on 4 November 1997
This book provides listings for faerie folk around the world, including entries under each being on what sort of ritual work or help one might gain from working with them, as well as corresponding herbs, stones, numbers, etc. that might draw the being to you. For those interested in working with the fae or the rest of the Little Folk, this book provides guidance and sample rituals and spells to demonstrate how one can fully utilize a relationship with them that will benefit both. For those who are not practitioners of an earth religion, it also provides wonderful descriptions and historical background on the beings in the book for those searching for everyday knowledge of them. Also, Edain McCoy has once again included an outline of ritual and spell setup for the forgetful to aid in your attempts to work with them. I highly recommend this book.
on 25 March 1999
my first book on witchcraft. I have always been interested in faeries, and that's what drew me to this book. Included in this book are spells and rituals for you and the faery folk, how and where to find faeries, a dictionary of various faeries from around the world, and other invaluable information about faeries no practicing witch should go without.
on 28 July 1999
This is an excellent book. I have always believed in fairies and now I believe in them even more. I am looking forward to adding them to my rituals and exploring a whole new world. The dictionary in the back of the book was a must it was my favorite part.
on 22 November 1997
I have been a practicing wiccan for quite a while, but I had always felt that something was lacking in my majik practice. When I found this book, I knew that working with the Wee Folk would add a new and amazing side to Wicca. This book gives all the important details one needs to know when working with the Faeries: everything from how to identify malevolent faeries to finding signs of the Faeries' rades. A triumph!
on 25 March 1998
This book was very well informative, and extremely well written. I found it to be useful on some levels, however, the lower points are attributed to the absolutes that are taught. I also thought that it went to far on some levels. It was an absolutely great history though with very down to earth writing. All in All I recommend it, and loved it even though it was a little 'fluffy bunny' about some issues.