on 13 June 2017
I bought this book on recommendation and find it has a wealth of information on herbs. An excellent reference tool.
on 3 August 2017
Very comprehensive and informative, a must for the beginner. Thank you.
on 11 April 2017
Great service, quick dispatch, amazing book. A++++
on 14 April 2017
The must have book for the discerning Witch.
on 24 March 2017
Good book
on 30 August 2017
very intriguing
on 24 May 1999
This is the most carefully researched compendium of pagan herbal lore I've ever found. He has everything in here from the botanicals themselves to astrological correspondences to powers attributed to the plants and their parts. And to his credit, he has appendices in this book to cross-reference all of the information contained in the encyclopedic body of the book. His bibliography is also very valuable as he gives astute advice and observations on some of these resources, such as the Golden Bough ("Take with a large grain of salt"). I still refer to this book regularly and I've had it 10 yrs now. Excellent scholarship and of interest whether you are pagan or not, whether you are Wicca or Witch (and thank you, Scott, for giving us the difference between Wiccans and Witches in your glossary). Mr. Cunningham left us a wonderful legacy of practical pagan resources in his books.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 February 2017
I've had this book for many years, and have consulted it often, both for ritual purposes and for research for fiction writing. (i write historical and fantasy fiction, and magical herbs play a role in both genres.)

It's a big comprehensive book, and at the same time very simple. It lists herbs alphabetically by their English name, with the Latin name behind it, and each herb has its ritual and magic uses listed.

The book contains additional sections at the end. I particularly value the folk-names cross-reference for when I want to look up a plant that I know by a different name.

The section I consult most is "Magical Intentions" where I can look up what I want to achieve (or more often, what my fictional character wants to achieve) and see a list of relevant plants. Then I look up those plants in the encyclopaedia to select the one that suits me best. For example, I can see which herbs might be used to break hexes to attain invisibility, to aid hunting or to attain longevity. For a fiction writer, that's a gold mine.

The illustrations are old line drawings (19th century or older ) which are out of copyright. This was probably so the publishers didn't have the expense of hiring an illustrator or pay for image licenses. The drawings are ok, but not really helpful. I'd have liked photos, or clear drawings, especially in relation to their size.

As a passionate gardener and professional writer, I would have like information about the growing conditions, location and appearance. For example, when a character in a story searches for a specific plant for a magic spell, it would help me to know if she searches in the forest, a meadow or bog, whether the plant flowers in spring or in summer, whether it's a ground-cover creeper or a tree-climbing vine, whether it's tiny or tall, etc. Even just a few words would be helpful.
on 20 April 2016
Best magical herbal book I have ever read. It has the Planet, sign and element all together in one place for each herb, which is often scattered about or missing in other books. The info has always proved accurate, and my only greivance is that I cannot get a hardback copy! Mine is so well thumbed I had to buy another eventually. Excellant book and the only magickal author who had humility and spoke to the layman, instead of trying to show off. A rare man indeed.
on 31 December 2010
I have been searching for a good easy to read book about herbs used in magic for some time. I am so very glad I got this book. As usual for (the late) Scott Cunningham, its a well written, easy to understand and well documented. Everything is listed and easy to find....divided up into gender, planetary, intentions....absolutely perfect. The pictures are line drawings..in black and white but are accurate and easy to identify (you could always get a photographic reference herb book to double check identity). There is not a vast amount of detail for each herb, but enough to guide you to choosing the right herb for your spell.

Whilst many scoff at the idea of using herbs for spells....remember they have been used for centuries, as Mr Cunningham reminds us. Common sense must still be used....and as some other critique said My Cunningham suggests a bag of herbs protect your house better than an alarm....he doesn't, but adding a little extra magical herb cant go wrong if that is your belief!
I highly recommend this book...for beginners or the more experienced like myself. I know I shall be using this reference book for years to come.

Encyclopaedia of Magical Herbs (Llewellyn's Sourcebook Series)