on 17 February 1999
I was fortunate to have had a chance to hear Joe McQ on tape in 1990, while I was in India. The contents of those tapes (which are largly reproduced in this book), changed my life forever. In this book, using clear, simple and understandable terms, Joe translates the spiritual essence of the Steps into an extremely do-able set of practical instructions, which; if followed precisely, will ensure a life free from the ravages of one's particular addiction. With plenty of worksheets and visually pleasing graphics, the process is fluid and gently guides the student along the well-worn path of the steps, to the oft-achieved destination of freedom and sobriety. I strongly recommend this book to people who are getting "stuck" in "listless" sobriety, and even more so for those who are unable to stay sober, inspite of attendance at meetings, and repeated visits ot detox's/centers. May I humbly suggest that you buy a Big Book, Joe's Book and get a Sponsor who has worked these steps and is familiar with the "program"? With grattitude and good wishes.
on 20 November 2007
Joe McQ talks a lot about God, Jesus and the Bible in this book. That's fine if, like me, you're comfortable with it.

But Joe may have done the 12 Step programme a disservice. You don't have to share his beliefs to benefit from the Twelve Steps. Not everyone in the anonymous fellowships shares Joe's views about God.

Even so, there is much wisdom in this book. Don't be put off by the biblical tone.
on 19 February 2009
I have use this book for many years, along with the big book. I have found it to be invaluable as when i first tackled the big book i found it difficult to understand the language, the steps we took enabled me to fully understand what the big book is saying and put it into laymans terms for me, i have difficulty with taking in information so the steps we took helped me to keep it as simple as it needs to be. I have had the pleasure and joy of taking many women through this book and watching there lives change as a result, it shows me the power that is in the book and teachings thank you mr mcq for your timeless service to us all rest in peace.
on 20 February 2008
Joe McQ's books and tapes have helped many to understand and practise the 12 Steps. His own 'Higher Power' seems to be very specifically Judaeo-Christian. Don't be put off by this. His understanding of the spiritual principles of the Steps is profound and he writes with gentleness and humour.

Joe McQ's conceptual framework may be a bit dated now. But the spiritual truths which he explains are unchanging.
on 19 September 1997
In his book THE STEPS WE TOOK Joe McQ showed me just how easy it is to "Keep It, (The 12 Steps), Simple" by very clearly stating the intent and purpose of The "Big Book". His insights and knowledge of The "Big Book" have since helped me to not only turn my life around but to also understand and appreciate such to the point where I have been able to help numerous other "members" of the recovering community by simply suggesting that they read his book. It would be virtually impossible for me to even begin to describe how important this book is and how many times I have quoted it's content.
A guy I sponsor who knew how much Joe McQ's book meant to me had the "bridge" in THE STEPS WE TOOK copied, matted and framed. He then gave such to me as a Christmas gift. After about 4 years, Joe McQ's bridge still hangs in a very prominant place in our home today.
I believe that if Bill W. were alive today, he too would recommend Joe McQ's book.
on 22 July 2010
'One fantastic life saving book'
I browsed through this book many years ago but didn't really understand it fully. It was only after spending over 10 years in AA and working steps with sponsor, I kept having periods of self loathing and anger/resentments and despite always sharing about this & writing I always ended up feeling discontented and irritable not long after. I had a breakdown in the ended almost loosing my marriage & career. I sought private professional help in the end. I heard a guy at this clinic share my story of my experience SOBER. He invited me to a Big Book group where i recoiled at first thinking they were all Nazis as I used to hear this banded about the fellowship. It was the exactly opposite... I was made more welcome than ever, a great guy offered to take me through the steps /program from the Big Book. I have never looked back and have never felt this good in all my life. It was a bit hard at first but got easier with practice. I then sough out info from the web & found a copy of this book plus the 'Carry the message'. It was fantastic carrying on from the big book and really teaching members how to practice the steps and to help other through them. I have gone on the seek out all of Joe Mq's stuff plus Joe & Charlie tapes . AWESOME. My recovery is now very real & active and this book gets read reguly and always more stuff jumps out at me. I highly recommend this book.
on 12 January 2010
I have been in and out of AA rooms for a long time and have done everything I could to work this programme my way. I have never had a full tiome sponsor but put a lot of work into picking up alcoholics and taking them to meetings, I sat in meeting listening and taking on bnoard some of the things I heard but always on my own and in my way. Over a period of 40 years have made two attempts to work these steps a I saw fit without guidance and teh result was that I drank again. Just recently my new sponsor recommended this book by Joe McQ while attempting to do a step 4. This is the very best explanation fo how to work these steps I have ever read. Joe took me through each and every step explaining how to work the step and how to get the meaning of the programme. This book showed me the true message of Alcoholics Anonymous and so far I have not had a drink. I highly recommed this book to anyone who has a teu desire to stop drinking.
on 11 July 2003
The author of this book is a long time sober alcoholic who has helped thousands of addicts in his treatment centre in USA. He knows what he is talking about.The advice is simple, practical and filled with useful examples, stories, exercises and ideas. I only give the book 4 stars because there is also some bible thumping in there and some pseudo science with meaningless diagrams. Ignore that stuff and you have a real "how to get sober and happy" guide.
on 25 February 2011
The Steps We Took: A Teacher of the Twelve Steps Shares His Experience

This book is essential reading, in conjunction with the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous. It guides one through recovery very simply but surely. It can be used successfully by anyone suffering from any of the illnessess, associated with addiction/dependency, i e alcolholism, drugs, eating disorders etc. It illustrates that these addictive illnesses are of the mind and that changing how we think results in changed behaviour. One well know US politician remarked some years back that if mankind lived by the principles of the 12 steps, mankind's inhumanity to mankind would cease.
on 19 August 2007
If you're looking for new insights you won't find them here. What you will find is good, old-fashioned, traditional fodder from an AA old-timer.