on 1 May 1999
I've read many books on creativity and Eric Maisel describes it as no one else has. FEARLESS CREATING takes you through the steps of the creative process, predicts the typical anxieties and pitfalls, and offers specific suggestions to get past them. I especially liked his explanation for attending to your rhythms as your work and distinguishing between needed quiet time and using quiet to avoid the inevitable anxiety of creating.
As an author, I found Maisel's principles and advice to resonate with my experience. Working on an outline for my next book as I read, I found the book inspirational and fun as well as reassuring. If you liked Julia Cameron's THE ARTIST'S WAY, you'll love this book as much as I did.
I am recommending it to all my creative friends.
on 19 January 1999
Maisel has done something unique: written a creativity workbook that is actually creative. Avoiding some of the cliché's which make some of the more popular "artist's" books a bore, he zeros in on the central issues which prevent artists from being productive. If I were to recommend one creativity workbook, this would be it.
on 12 October 1998
This book, used in conjunction with Natalie Goldberg's "Writing Down the Bones," helped me to develop the discipline to write every day. I ordered it twice - once for myself and once for a friend.
on 23 March 1998
I have found this book very useful. It is a great companion, and a bit of a nag (which can be a wonderful thing if you aren't confident enough in your work to egg yourself on past all the little tricks for not getting down to buisness.)
Maisel has managed to make this book into a friend that gives the writer a friendly lot of ideas to help in the tough process of coming to grips with the work she wants to accomplish.
on 9 June 2013
I bought this book because as a part time painter, I was experiencing blockages that slowed me down and ultimately paralised my painting. What to paint? I am not sure anymore what I really want to paint. Why do I paint? What do I have to say through my painting? When to paint? I didn't manage to paint after work and ended up painting very rarely. All these things were becoming more and more difficult with more and more excuses not to paint.
This book has been the solution to all this. Very original exercises, as well as in depth analysis of many blockages I was experiencing helped me tremendously understand and solve these. At least, the journey has started! I also understood that some obstacles are very common, and some other are common but I don't experience them. This is very useful lesson as well. Maisel's huge experience with artists is extremely valuable.
on 29 May 2008
A very useful book for everyone, but artists in particular. I am a photographer and I rely on my inspiration to see me through. But from time to time, it goes walkabout and I'm left scratching my head. I search for my inspiration, and end up getting rather anxious when it doesn't shoot up in me. The second artist issue is confidence in one's own voice. The book addresses both anxiety and confidence very well. What was particularly helpful was his take on anxiety - or perhaps he didn't say this but this is how I understood it: when you are in a space of the unknown, one is naturally going to be anxious for the VERY FACT that it is as yet unknown. And, the artist is there to uncover the mystery. Indeed, as an artist, you always want to be discovering the unknown or what makes your work unique. Now, perceiving anxiety as simply a signal to myself that I have approached a door to an unknown is actually very encouraging. I never saw anxiety that way. I always fought hard with myself to get rid of it. But, now, I see it as a 'good' sign...never thought that would happen!
on 19 December 1998
This is a wonderful book! It is one which helped me, and could help anyone who has ever desired to create anything, from a Pulitzer-level work of art to a community craft activity. Maisel outlines both the big picture principles of creativity and what blocks us, as well as very detailed, practical exercises which guide the reader through the logical, common sense steps of creativity. I've given it to five friends already!
on 15 November 2013
If you feel negative about creating your artwork or even despair at times, even though you are desperate to make or do something creative then this is a good book for you. It will make you realise you are not the only person who goes through those feelings and provide you with encouragement and insights to help you progress. Some exercises do seem rather silly but can be taken metaphorically, even so, understanding the gist of these is still helpful
on 5 April 2013
Interesting and inspiring to all types of artists. Helps to get the creative talent flowing, with exercises and hints and tips.
on 25 July 2015
I've only flicked through this book so far, what has caught my attention is of great interest. Just wish I had more time to pursue