on 10 June 2008
To me a recipe book means dishes made from basic ingredients, but saddly several of the recipes in this book use cake mixes which will make no sense to any reader outside the US, or indeed future cooks "yellow cake mix" is one typical example. Others do start from basic ingredient so it isn't a complete waste of time, but the cake mix type of recipe makes it much less useful than a recipe book should be !
44 Comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 August 2009
I agree with the point made in an earlier review about this book containing a few recipes that include instant cake and pudding mixes, and I too find this incredibly annoying as it's almost impossible to replicate outside of the USA. This is not the first American cook book I have purchased which annoyingly does this - particularly those for Bundt Cakes - must be something to do with our US cousins across the big pond!

However, there are still the vast majority of the cakes in this book which are made the good old fashioned way and each recipe comes with a little background story on its origins or where it's been used successfully. The glazes and frostings are particularly good.

If you want to bake bundt cakes plus get the most out of your Nordicware Bundt pans, I would definitely recommend this book, but as a general American cake book for using regular pans, there are plenty better choices.
on 12 March 2013
While there are some interesting ideas in here, FAR too many of the "recipes" expect you to go out and buy a box of cake mix. Ridiculous.

Look elsewhere.
on 17 February 2014
I brought a bundt pan with me when I moved here from America and bought this book to make sure I used it. I've had success with every recipe I tried. Our family loves the Tunnel of Fudge cake--the first widely known bundt cake in America. There is some reliance on American-style cake mixes, but there are enough from-scratch recipes to balance it out. One of the easiest to make and one of my favorite "fall back" desserts is the Chocolate Cherry Fudge Bundt. Fast, easy and delicious. Cake mixes can be expensive, but they go on special a few times a year so I wait until then and stock up.

I gave it 4 stars because there are a couple of editing errors, like the Tunnel of Fudge glaze recipe calls for 4-6 teaspoons of milk when it should be tablespoons. But overall, a good bundt book!
on 12 January 2015
Good if you live in the USA!! Many of the recipes use American measurements and you have to transpose into UK (which is fair enough as it's a US book). However many of the recipes use US proprietary mixes as short cuts and difficult in some cases to find out what they are. It's OK.
on 26 November 2013
Will be looking forward to making some of the recipes in the book and hopefully being able to impress my friends who enjoy eating the results
on 25 February 2014
lots of old recipes, love the old fashioned look of pages,cannot wait to use.easy clear recipes.wipeable cover , in case of spillages.
on 18 February 2011
all recipes are in american measurements and name ingredients differently to we do...(probably should have guessed that) very basic book.. disappointing