Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New album - Matt Terry Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

Complete Works
Format: Hardcover|Change

Plato taught that consciousness is partly blanked out and the blank, or dark side, of consciousness is this world we all live in, that is, the objective world the scientist studies. This means that the basis of the whole universe, as experienced by the senses, is the illusory cave world that Plato wrote about. The higher world is forever blanked out, just like the dark matter in the universe is blanked out. If we really are in the dark, or shielded off from the real world, well this implies a higher form of knowing, doesn't it? If there is a higher form of knowing then this means that we all are sleeping. It is our job to become lucid.

Alas Plato won't offer any hints and tips as to how we can get out of here.
on 8 January 2017
It's Plato and it's complete
on 2 May 2017
Print is very small, difficult to read even for someone with normal eyesight.
on 9 January 2014
The opening words of the text are as follows: 'What's new, Socrates', which puts one almost simultaneously in Ancient Greece and an 80s sitcom. The other translations are not much better. Why translators of philosophy cannot, in my experience, write in a manner suitable to the nobility of their profession, I cannot understand.

If the texts themselves are difficult and jarring to read in this way, then it is close to impossible to progress any further to the book's other qualities which, from these positive reviews which surround mine, I am led to believe are very good. I hope that my opinion on just the stylistic problems alone could be of value to some. Such a warning would have kept me from purchasing it.
on 30 August 2007
This is the edition of Plato that you would have as required reading on an English medium Greek philosophy course. All the texts are translated and annotated by the relevant experts. In an ideal world you would have some kind of interlinear translation provided from the original Greek on the page facing the Greek translation, rather like the Interlinear New Testament as well as the translation into English prose. But then it would be incredibly expensive and very big I suppose.

Anyway if you like Plato, this is the one! Though it is very large. If you were interested in a particular text, e.g. The Republic, and were planning to read it on the train, you might be better off with buying the Penguin or Wordsworth el cheapo editions that you can carry around with you. This one is quite big.
on 10 July 2014
Forget Shakespeare and the bible; if I were to be shipwrecked on a desert island and only had room to take one book with me, this would be it. Plato is, in my opinion, the world's greatest philosopher and not only does this book contain all his known works, but also all those attributed to him. The translations are very good - and, of course, that's what you're paying for. As much as I admire Benjamin Jowett, his translations can be a bit muddled. In addition, each work is prefaced with a short introduction and there are, as one would expect, footnotes.

If you are new to Plato, you might like to read this book in conjunction with the relevant chapters in either Bertrand Russell's 'History of Western Philosophy' (my favourite book about philosophy) or Peter Adamson's more recent 'Classical Philosophy: A History of Philosophy Without any Gaps, Volume 1'.
on 25 February 2017
I can't face sending another one of these back for replacement, but beware. The book itself is OK - 1808 pages, Hackett 1997 edition, but the dust jackets all seem to be soiled, torn, ill fitting and very poor quality paper. The edges of the copies I've had have been marked too. They look too shabby to give as gifts, but are good reading copies.
on 18 July 2011
This book is a joy to have and hold, and even better to read. I'm pacing myself, from first page to last, in small sittings. The old "little and often" approach. It is a great relief to actually have a book that has everything by the father of philosophy. The quality of the print, layout, index, notes, everything, is as it should be in a book of this magnitude. Amazing. No budding philosopher should be without this ancient tomb of wisdom.
on 6 September 2017
If you are interested in Plato this is the book for you! All his works including his many books on Socrates.
on 4 February 2011
Plato's works speak for themselves. I know you can get a lot of the material for free on the internet or in little (and cheaper pamphlets) but frankly the hardback is put together wonderfully, making it a joy to find what you want all in one place. It is a wonderful addition to any bookshelf and great to dive into every now and then. I used this as an MA Philosophy student and it was a constant companion during my Greek Philosophy modules.