Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 April 2010
I'm a bit of a cummings fan so please take effusive compliments for the poet for granted... but forgive me for making some more practical notes:

This edition is printed on the most horrible paper (why do that to poetry books that one will want to keep going back to and holding for hours?) with annoying variations in ink density from page to page.

The layout in contrast is good but not perfect with too many poems split across pages. This might seem nitpicking, but there is a graphic element to these poems.

There are useful and insightful commentaries by the editor who has, for me, made a good and extensive collection (well, it has my favourite ones and a number I hadn't read before).

There are a handful of illustrations by cummings which I find really helpful and complimentary.
on 14 February 2012
Another review on here complains about the quality of paper and the way that the book is made up. To me, a first time reader of e.e.cummings, it enhances it. The paper, which is admittedly not high quality has a lovely feel to it, it makes the poems accessible and allows the book to be folded back so that one poem can be absorbed.
I believe that poetry books should allow the reader to absorb the writings and this one certainly does that with lovely text, paintings and a great, floppy cover.
I am now a huge fan, and this book goes many places with me, through my travels it is a very absorbing book which take wear and tear with delight.
Buy it now, it even smells loovely!
on 30 May 2014
The first book of poems that I have ever studied for school and not felt like bashing my head against the wall and burning the book.
That is very very high praise indeed as that has veen my predominant feeling for just about everything we have ever been forced to study in english.
He has a very unorthodox style and really libks it to the events of the time such as thanksgiving 1956.
on 21 July 2014
The poetry of E.E.Cummings is often very much a visual as well as a linguistic experience. The text is effectively formatted so as to preserve the unique patterns used by the poet. Making use of the Kindle App on a tablet with a large screen is particularly useful but I find the standard six inch screen of the Kindle is excellent too. Just make sure to adjust to an appropriate type size. A note in the book mentions that landscape mode may be a good way of viewing the poems.

This generous selection of Cummings' poetry is taken from a wide spectrum of the poet's creative life and organised into twelve thematic sections such as "A Child's World", "The Poetry of the Eye", "Love and its Mysteries", and so forth--flanked by a "Prelude" and "Postlude". The table of contents is thorough and takes the reader immediately to any specific poem and the entire volume is enhanced by an excellent introduction and commentary by Richard S. Kennedy as well as a photo of and a sketch by the poet.

This ebook can serve as a superb introduction to the work of Cummings or as a marvellous selection for those who have already come to love his work.
on 9 May 2014
Poetry is not something that would come top of my list of subjects to read on a regular basis. I was introduced to the works of E E Cummings by an ex colleague and read a few of them before being aware of this collection. I have enjoyed reading them and can certainly recommend this ebook as, perhaps, an introduction to E E Cummings.
on 27 May 2014
If you enjoy poetry, then you should pick up this collection. It's slim, and written in such an intriguing way.
on 5 January 2014
e. e. cummings is an unremarkable poet - he's good but not great, and his work is easily overlooked. Nevertheless, he's well worth reading, and although his writing is a little too classical for my liking, it's still accessible to both literary scholars and the general public, in its way.

I wish I could say more - I'm fairly indifferent about this collection, it's too unmemorable and hasn't left me with the enlightened feeling that signals the end of a good book.
on 5 April 1997
Read it, d___ You! Well, i'm sorry, but though We may not Allagree with each and every of cummings' works, it is almost inevitable that something will be found amongst them, that strikes a common cord. The only fault in this book is that the editors had the effrontery, audacity, temerity, impertinence, and even bad, bold meanness to capitalize not only the first 'e' but also the second, and even the 'c' in the poet's name. Well, such blasphemy made me weep; that aside, however, it's a great collection of poems. Be sybaritic and hedonistic: have fun with the book the book. Okay, i suppose i theme can be overplayed. Nevertheless, enjoy.
on 20 April 2015
e. e. cummings!
Good selection
on 22 April 2015
a present for my granddaughter