on 21 February 2013
For a book written in 1987 it is still remarkably useful. Mostly for seeing specious thta I didn't know before. If you have NEVER had fish before I'd recommend some more basic books however. This one has lots of species, but.... a lot more now commonly available aquarium fish have appeared since 1987 and therefore aren't listed in this book. Also, unless you are already a fish nerd, due to the evolution of science some of the fish have changed genus names. Not too much hassle as it is still possible to do internet searches on their old names. Beautiful fish pictures and lots of them.
The book gives a description of the basic husbandry principles: What type of food, water pH and hardness, type of habitat, friendliness towards other fish, adult size of the fish, and minimum tank size. However, in my mind, again, opinions have changed on this last point and I would add at least 30% to the recommended tank sizes in this book.
The book also has a section on breeding a few of these fish, a section about common aquarium plants (with pictures) and a section about common and less common fish diseases (also with pictures).
All in all pretty useful as a basic source of information, and inspiration. If you want more detailed info about each species you need to search for more specific literature.
VINE VOICEon 9 August 2014
This review is based on the book costing me .12p plus P&P as there are several available at super cheap prices. It's a thick and heavy tomb loaded to the gills (see what I did there?) with pictures. Mine arrived in reasonable time was a bit battered (see again!) and smelt mildly musty. Even so I am pretty happy I bought it. My need is for a stack of half decent pictures to help identify potential purchases and for that it's fine. I won't need to spend any more on a more modern book. If I can get a few possible names from this I can check online for further info. So, to me great value despite the less than ideal description from the seller as 'used - very good'. I'd say more like 'used - just about OK!'
on 31 August 2002
I already have some books about fish Characteristics, but this is the most completed I ever see. The photos are amazing!
It worst the money, I recommended to all the people that care about this hobby.
It was a great help for classified my aquarium fishes.
This is kinda like my bible for aquarium shopping... want to know which fish is good for a community tank? Which isn't? Which ones like conditions that are similar to the temp and PH of your existing tank? Really, you just can't beat this book.

Get it.

Highly recommended
on 30 September 2010
This is an excellent book, a bit indepth for a beginner with only latin names for the fish, however was very informative and a great book for any aquarium owner.
on 6 June 2012
This book is very good if you are more experienced with fish and want something better than the plain, old boring beginner books. It identifies many fish however only has Latin names listed however can be traced in the index for common names. Gives you the basics of requirements of keeping the fish and how big they grow etc. Very good book just a shame can be hard with just Latin names
on 29 May 2015
Informative well written reference book for fishkeepers of all abilities . I have kept fish for 47 years and can still find things out that I didn t know.
on 28 December 2012
this book is very useful, can be a tad confusing to use but overall you cant go wrong. pics are great quality.
on 20 July 2014
It contains very little information on the different species of fish. Baensch aquarium atlas is much better.
VINE VOICEon 7 November 2015
A very helpful book for fish keepers, a bit out of date now, but still a useful book
Recommended