on 20 September 2011
Having recently been in the mountains, I was reminded of the book "Heidi" that I read when I was a little girl. I remembered too the tv series/film and resolved to get hold of a copy and read it again on my return home.

I'm delighted that I did. I loved this book and, after a period of some 36 years, it has lost none of its charm. This is truly a children's classic but also for adults too. The description of the mountains, the seasons, of nature in all its glory and the childish joy of seeing wonderous sights brought me so much joy and stayed with me for some time after I had read the last page.

It's free, seriously there is no reason not to get this book and read it.
Take yourself to an age of innocence and charm. You will be rewarded.
on 19 September 2017
Driving through Switzerland reminded me of Heidi country. All my friends also remembered the story of Heidi and grandfather. That night I downloaded the book and spent an enjoyable few days re-reading the Heidi story. It was as charming and lovely as I remembered it. I recommend this trip down memory lane.
on 22 February 2014
I'm not sure if its the nostalgia from my childhood (I had a copy of this book at my grandparents I would read on rainy days spent with them) but something about this book is just special to me! Reading it as an adult you do notice the moralistic tone more than I did when I first read this but it doesnt detract from the fact that this is a nice good solid story to read... plus it makes me want to go out into the fresh air, climb a mountain and eat fresh bread with cheese - that can't be a bad thing surely!
on 9 May 2015
I wrote this as this is my mother's favourite book. I read it, moreover thinking that it would be monotonous, but I was wrong. I am only 10 years old and I was moved to tears. It is the best classic I've ever read, yet it was unabridged and entertaining. I thought that poor Heidi had to leave her acquaintance Clara. It was a miracle that Heidi was reunited with her alm uncle. Surprisingly, I am Austrian, and it really expresses the life in Austria. Best book I've ever read.
on 20 January 2016
This was a blast from the past! I read this at school then borrowed a copy from the library. I don't remember it being "religious" at all, is that perhaps as a child we skip these passages? Good to re-read it but will not be keeping this copy.
on 14 October 2017
Disappointing, giving all the other great reviews I had read. Heidi is nothing more than a child here, pushed from pillar to post by selfish adults. Even the writing is bland, although that is normal in a translation. I can't work out if this version is abridged.
on 13 February 2013
I had fond memories but clearly very vague memories of reading Heidi when I was younger. I vividly remember her descriptions of the mountain, and the relationship she had with her grandfather. What I had forgotten, or more likely didn't notice as a young child were the religious undertones the story is speckled with, especially in her relationship with Peter's grandmother.
All the same, I was hooked. Heidi is fundamentally an effortless simple tale that charts a child's simple love of nature and family. Well worth a re-read as a grown up!
on 9 February 2015
A beautiful story. So uplifting! I read this as a child and loved it, so recommended it to my daughter. She absolutely loves it too! I am reading it for the first time as an adult but it still has the same charm and ability to transport you to the Alps! I wish I could sleep in that hay loft like Heidi and eat fresh bread and cheese on the mountain! The kind of book that clears you head and makes you feel fresh!
on 3 September 2014
This is as moving now as when I first read it as a child. the descriptions of the Swiss Alps are powerful and the imagery of people from all walks of life we could all learn today to not be too judgmental or categorise people regardless of whether we know them well or not. The story itself was always beautiful and still is today.
on 27 March 2017
It's a classic for a reason. Reading it to a 6 year old girl and an 8 year old boy. It's slightly ahead of the 6 year old but she's getting most of it.