on 29 March 2003
I was reluctant to order the book at first as my knowledge on this field is basic and I thought it might not offer practical information easily comprehensible to a nonspecialist. However, I found a lot of information about perception and memory which I think can cast some light on the different ways students understand and recall language. I particularly enjoyed chapter 12 which referred to language comprehension and dealed with the ways in which information is processed explaining terms such as 'parsing' and 'pragmatics' which enabled me see my students' comprehension problems at reading and listening from a different point of view.
Apart from that, there was some information about the abilities of chess masters and other experts which I enjoyed reading. Generally, I think the book is a source of knowledge for anyone who is interested in mental processes and in the way they affect our abilities and skills.
on 15 November 2017
great book
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 21 January 2011
This book should be a very good guide to the topic and certainly contains lots of interesting studies, research and theories. However the writing style is impossibly difficult to follow and too many terms are used without explanation only adding to the confusion. More diagrams would have been very useful as the authors try to, unsuccessfully, describe experiments with words when pictures would have been better. If I wrote my uni assignments like this book I would be failing.
on 5 January 2002
This is a must for any OU student studying D309, but it also compliments perfectly both the foundation and child development courses. Eysenck has definitely mastered this field of psychology! The style and presentation of what is undoubtly a complex subject means you can "dip in" to any area of any chapter.
on 20 April 2014
A well-planned depiction of the main Cognitive Psychology topics and research findings, useful for Psychology students and those with a keen interest. Would highly recommend.
on 1 March 2002
I am a student and found this book a must for studying cognitive psychology. This was the first time I had studied this area and found the book extremely well written. It is easy to read with good summaries. Eysenck has certainly done himself proud with this book!
on 14 September 2015
This is the authoritative Cog Psy text and has been for years. I've used it to teach and as a supplement. Looking at the Table of Contents is a good way to gauge the content of mainstream CogPsy as each new edition comes out.
on 3 January 2016
I got it for my psychology degree, very good book that comes with a companion website. The website offers summaries and quizzes for the chapters. My cognitive professor recommended this book and i do too.
on 12 October 2013
If you think that this book is a bit too difficult for teaching Introduction to Cognitive Psychology, you are wrong. Contemporary students expect such knowledge to be taught. If still not convinced, recommend a different, second best book for your students, and use this for lecture preparation. You will be a star!
on 11 September 2003
This book covers all major areas within cognitive psychology, which was very useful for my course, but it is a very dry and boring read! Some chapters are rather hard to grasp. I found, it gave enough detail and information about most topics, and once I got used to the way it was written, I found it useful but not the best reference for my studies.