on 3 December 2016
This has become an annual purchase for my husband.

It's an odd little book and works a little like biorhythms but for wine, namely that wines taste better at certain times of the year based upon such esoteric factors as lunar phase and time of the day. From what I understand this slightly strange idea has been taken up by some of the supermarkets and wine stores for their wine tasting evening to great success and I've tried playing a game of leaf, root, flower or fruit with my husband to check if he can tell how a wine changes.

The outcome? Well, there seems to be about an 80-85% accuracy over the course of the last year and therefore I've gone ahead and bought the next edition.

If you are looking for a gift that is slightly out of the ordinary and you don't want to buy a bottle or the ubiquitous multiple bottle opener set (we ended up with three - thanks but no thanks) then this is a great idea but be prepared for a few incredulous looks and guffaws from the self-proclaimed experts in your group who feel that they can't learn any more about oenology.
2 people found this helpful
on 26 February 2012
A brief and simple A6-sized pocket guide that's very easy to read and easy to check by the day / month. Absolutely fine value for the Amazon price. Full price for its detail seems steep as it doesn't really explain the subject in any detail, if at all, in passing.

It does what it says as a reference point, when wine is at it's the ideal (or worst time) to drink, but if I were promoting biodynamics, I would place a lot more detail into the subject in the introduction of the booklet to promote what the pocket guide is actually about (no 'sell it to me' in the subject), rather than just a passing paragraph, rendering it really just a coloured calendar to the unknown and casual browser.

I logically agree with the principles and this calendar ...Sell it to me and turn a root day into a flower day for 2013 for a 4 star or 5 star review. ;)

Please buy this pocket money guide, a good talking point, even if it's just for your coffee table. :)
on 21 December 2016
We have been buying this booklet for several years now because we find it interesting and helpful no only in when to drink wine but also when to plant and harvest crops on our allotment.
One person found this helpful
on 3 May 2017
A handy guide to the world of bio-dynamic wine and a useful calendar to help decide when to taste your best wines.
on 17 May 2017
This is a booklet not a book. Although information is great. I wa expecting something more weighty.
review image
on 17 December 2010
As it is still 2010 I can only review the app which only tells you about the current days wine drinking prospects. Using it 'unblinded' I haven't noticed any correlation with how enjoyable the wine is. I like my wine and have a fairly well stocked cellar but am no MW. If I ever get round to a proper comparative blinded tasting Iwill let you know....
on 9 January 2013
I am lucky to use this calandar 4 years. I find it very useful to decide, what time is optimal to invite my friends to my wineyard. It works! The wine test really best!
on 19 December 2017
rubbish
on 22 September 2010
Became interested when I visited Drouhin's in Beaune. This book, and its predecessor, identify the 'best' times for drinking wine. I am still experimenting!
on 12 January 2013
I have bought this book for the last three years. My starting point was/is to be sceptical: how can identical bottles of wine be good on one day and not the next? Does it really have something to do with the biodynamic calendar or is it simply bottle variability? I do not really use this book to determine what nights to drink wine on and anyway, if I followed it very closely, I wouldn't really know whether it was an accurate predictor of when wine was best as I would have no comparitor to measure it against. However, on so many occasions I have opened a wine that I had previously really enjoyed only to find that it was sub par: when I then consult the book, I invariably find that I have chosen a poor wine day. So, perhaps suspend critical judgment, experiment and for a small outlay discover whether it is something that adds to the enjoyment of your wine.