Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

I accept that at 51 I am not the target market for this book. However, knowing I love pet rabbits and have been involved in hedgehog rescue this year, this book was bought for me as a gift and it is utterly delightful.

The story is about a rabbit and hedgehog who are good friends but the hedgehog needs to hibernate during the winter so doesn’t get to see winter so his rabbit friend promises to save ‘a little bit of winter’ for him.

It’s a simple story, ideal for helping young children understand what hibernation is. However what sold the book to me were its delightful sketches which are utterly charming and capture the rabbit’s and hedgehog’s facial expressions perfectly.

It’s a simple book, easy to follow for reading to young children but I think some young-at-heart adults will also enjoy it for its illustrations!
review image review image review image
on 1 March 2008
At the start of the story, the season is autumn and hedgehog & rabbit are saying goodbye to each other because winter will be here soon and hedgehog will hibernate. The middle of the story is in winter where rabbit saves some snow for hedgehog because he (hedgehog) didn't know what winter was like! In the spring, the two friends are reunited and rabbit give the present to his pal hedgehog who now knows what winter is like! I think it was a brilliant idea to split up the story into beginning, middle and end using the seasons because it is very obvious and clear. This is a very important feature in writing a good story, or so we are told at school...
I would rate this book 7/ 10 and I would recommend it to young children aged between 3 - 6 because the font size is quite large, the words are repeated and the pictures are very good - they are bright, colourful and eye catching especially the front cover1
on 4 May 2009
There are 4 books in this series and appeal to children between 3 to 5 years of age. They are extremely well written and illustrated. The tales depict the strong friendship and bond between the two characters and the charming adventures they have together. The set of books I purchased are in very good condition and good value. Hours of enjoyment for my grandchildren.
For 2 years now when the snow comes, so does "A little bit of Winter". This is a large illustrated book with two characters, best friends Rabbit and Hedgehog. Hedgehog has to go to sleep for the winter and tells Rabbit to save him some winter to see when he wakes up. Rabbit is very forgetful but he tries.

This book is super sweet and the two characters are brilliantly illustrated and realised. My son is 4 now but this book has kept him happy since he was 2. Initially it was about not missing people when you are asleep (Hedgehog) but now he is older he can identify with having best friends and also playing in the cold snow.

It is a shame this book is not in print however it is worth finding. The version we have is A2 sized (i.e. huge) but I am sure all sized versions are just as good.
on 11 February 2011
Lovely story and great illustrations!
I used it for a unit of work in science on melting. Very simple but so effective to use with children - a must for any book shelf!
on 21 December 2013
the book was perfect for the children in our setting to help with the understanding of hibernation and winter, a useful aid for understanding the world in preschool.
on 13 December 2015
Love this book!! Got it for my class to make a sensory story. Read this to children for years andtbey have always loved it more than me 😊
on 9 February 2013
This is a charming book. It highlights the nature of winter and friendship. Used in worship with the children at Unitarian Chapel.
on 12 July 2013
Bought in used condition as I have purchased others in the series for my grandsons. Firm favourites and a message for adults too!
on 10 July 2016
My kid (6 now) loves the Rabbit and Hedgehog stories. This one is a lovely tale about friendship and caring.