I bought this for my Father who is over 80 years old and had never been on a computer before in his life. I gave his my old laptop as well and he uses it to do his Internet banking on, as he found that he could earn more interest this way.
This is an ideal introductory guide for older people and indeed anyone who has had little or no Internet experience. This book will get you up to speed in no time at all.
0Comment| 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 October 2009
I am a Silver Surfer. I have joined the every increasing band of oldies on the internet thanks to this book. I thought it was an exclusive club but if a numbty like me can get online using this guide anyone can. It covers all you need know about shopping, banking, chatting. It dispelled all the myths and fears I had about hunting around the internet. It gave me a good grounding on all aspects and give me confidence to try stuff out. I even tweat on twitter. Does that make me a twit? I got a basic grounding on computers from Every Day Home Computing DVD but this really filled in all the gaps and now I find the Internet invaluable. The chapter on TV and Radio on the Internet opened up a whole new world to me - or should that be re visited an old world - The Navy Lark, Round the Horn and muc more. Can't recommend this highly enoug
on 5 July 2011
I honestly thought that being an age concern book, it would be basic ... and it is some of it. My dad is 73 and has never used a computer, never mind been on the internet.

OK, so lets go into why this book is poor. The first real chapter is called "How do I get connected" and second paragraph down, it starts talking about Pentium processors, RAM and GHz. Then it goes into ISP's and even explains what "Dial-up" is. You REALLY don't need to know any this and my dad put the book down after half a page.

Then in the second chapter it starts to explain the "basics" ... hyperlinks. Yeah, real basic for a 73 year old.

Don't get me started about how it explains how to send emails. I honestly can't tell you how stupid the idea of an older person setting up Outlook Express. Yeah, everyone knows what POP3 and SMTP is. So rather than point them in the direction of googlemail or hotmail, they talk about server types and ports.

Stay clear if this is for an older person with zero knowledge of computers.
on 31 March 2009
This is an excellent help to those of us who are just dipping our toes into the Computor pool. It takes away the fear of the whole subject & I find it invaluable. I will proceed onto Book 2 when I feel ready.
on 19 July 2010
not the best book to explain to someone who has never used a computer how to use one, better if you have some knowledge
on 4 April 2010
Bought for a friend on his retirement. He informs me that it is a useful reference book now that he has his first home computer.
on 21 January 2010
A present for my Mum who is a Siver Surfer and she has found it very useful indeed.
on 15 September 2012
Bought the book to help me set up a silver surfer club in a care setting where I work. I thought it would help me with the very basics of pc use too - unfortunately it does not. The focus is purely on using the internet, so it's helpful but not as useful as I'd hoped.
on 3 January 2011
I am volunteer for Age Concern, tutoring over-50s in computers and the Internet. I have read this book to get ideas to help me with tutoring: it is a very useful book - I can recommend it to beginners.
on 26 February 2013
I bought this in order to help my wife to email, and use a computer more easily. It has certainly helped. Thank you.