Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 July 2004
"You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I'll rise."
That is a excerpt from her poem "and still I rise". Its not a poem to me but a prayer. Maya Angelou's poetry from "phenomenal woman" to "i know why a bird caged sings" are not just thought provoking but instant upliftment for the heart. Its simple and vivid at the same time. I am not an seasoned critic but you need to read this poem to realise its power...
on 4 April 2010
I first got to know about Maya Angelou through her autobiographies about 20 years ago and,after reading them, didn't really look for anything else by her. But after talking to a work colleague about Maya I learned that she also wrote poetry.The one poem in particular that we spoke about was 'And Still I Rise' which my colleague told me had sustained her through several tough times over the years. I bought a book of Maya's poems and thoroughly enjoyed them especially 'And still I Rise' and 'Black Family Pledge'. My work colleague(who is also a very dear friend)retired earlier this year and I knew that as well as reading Maya Angelou's poetry she also enjoyed listening to her reading her poetry so what better gift could I give her than a cd of Maya reading some of her awesome poems! My friend was absolutely thrilled with the cd and has spent many happy hours already listening to it.If you are a fan of Maya then I would highly recommend this as there is nothing like listening to a poet reciting their own poems and Maya brings them to life as no one else could!
on 23 October 2013
And still I rise is one of Maya Angelou's most famous poems, as well as the title of this collection, which is her third volume of poetry. This is an excerpt:

Does my haughtiness offend you?
Don't you take it awful hard
'Cause I laugh like I've got gold mines
Diggin' in my own backyard.

You will also find another well know poem of her here, Phenomenal woman. In it, Angelou describes the power that is innate to woman and what it means to have the confidence to be a sassy and "phenomenal woman". Many of her poems are about race or gender, but what shines through the most is her resilience and joy in spite of a difficult life. Maya Angelou has a strong voice that refuses to be silenced.

I really cannot recommend this volume enough. Like a previous review said, her poems to me, as well, is like a prayer. I know some of the poems by heart, but still I pick them up to read through sometimes. I also like to give this volume away as a gift to friends, as I believe that this is one that all women (in particular) should have knowledge of.
on 24 May 2013
full of energy-Ms Angelou makes an impact with her readings of her own poetry-she sounds exactly as one would expect. There are 13 tracks on this cd.. but ITS NOT ENUF... .. ..

track list:

And Still I Rise
Ain't That Bad?
Life Doesn't Frighten Me
On Aging

so, at the end of the cd, there is a list of other available cd's, all read by the author, namely:

I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
On The Pulse Of Morning
I Wouldn't Take Nothing For My Journey Now
Phenomenal Woman
on 19 June 2014
I heard this tital poem read by Maya in one of the many tributes at the time of her death. I was so inspired I purchased tjis book to read some more and I was not disappointed. She writes as much as a woman as a civil and human rights author. Sadly the world has lost a great gift. I am inspired to read more.
on 30 May 2013
such words of wonder and joy and thoughtfulness - a joy to take my time to read . Maya as always is great to read
on 13 October 2013
This book is great in the sense that it has the collection in it, lovely condition etc., but I would have liked a few critical essays about the work at the back, and a more detailed introduction about this specific collection.
on 31 July 2013
i love this book the poems are deep and you have to think to understand them and its about struggle and pain if you like poems BUY IT
on 19 October 2013
What a wonderful book, an eye opener, one of my favourite authers, will always recommend her to my family and friends.
on 7 April 2015
The seller, john992, was brilliant - posted it very promptly and even enclosed a handwritten message. Much appreciated! The cd itself is amazing, wonderful to hear her voice and her unique, stylish, moving delivery. I got it for a friend's special birthday and she loves it! A special cd for a special occasion.