There are many versions of the Catechism of the Catholic Church and even many different editions of each of those versions, so one would beg the question why review a book so readily available and so accessible. That would be a good question to ask. There is the `original edition' the `second edition' and now there is also a `definitive edition' so why would we examine this work?

The answer is that like with Shakespeare, for which there are innumerable editions each reader tends to gravitate towards a specific version or set of editions. In having spent many hours reading these documents over the last few months I can only state categorically that this is the `best packaging' of the Catechism that I have yet to investigate. The larger format makes it easier to work with than many of the smaller pocket version, the wide margins left for personal notes and thoughts is much appreciated. As well this edition is the only one I have found with a glossary and it also has a more extensive index then the other two editions I examined.
33 comments| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 October 2012
I've been Catholic for 28 years and never had a real understanding of my faith until I read this book. An easy well detailed read that inspires belief, strengthens faith and removes doubt. Now whenever anyone questions me as to why I believe and tells me that I shouldn't for such and such a reason I can give them an honest answer as to why I do and as to why the Church is the way it is.
on 22 July 2012
Ok so the print is small, and it is not a hardback, so what, you won't die wondering if you own this book, make sure you have a dictionary handy for the odd word here and there... considering it's 8 years work the price is buttons..... outstanding spiritual achievement in a world of increasing despair. Amazon is very reliable I have never had one complaint
on 4 May 2013
What would you expect a committed Catholic to say about this? It contains everything one needs to know about the faith - so important to all our lives. It is about the Truth.
on 7 June 2014
As a believing catholic I have encountered a lot of different comments about my beliefs. They range from being called stupid, foolish, ignorant, living in the middle ages, a bigot, a hateful person and a few more that I cant write down.

This is not new Jesus warned that true Christians would be hated by the world so Ill just have to keep on loving my fellow man.

This book beautifully explains in details the teaching of our catholic church the church that was established by Jesus over 2 thousand years ago and this is an absolute must for any Christian trying to remain in strong in these difficult secular times.

God bless you all
on 17 October 2013
As a lapsed Catholic returning to my religion I found it extremely useful and expounde facts that I had long forgotten.
Strongly recommended for any one with an interest in Catholicism ; or re-discovering their faith.
on 3 January 2016
Adequate but very difficult to handle.
Do not buy this edition if it is for study, rather than occasional, use. The tight cheap binding makes it impossible to lay flat or hold open, a great inconvenience. You will not find the full notes either. As for the content, as expected it remains the same. It is a definitive account of Church teaching and those reviewers who quibble evidently cannot agree with it. I am buying another copy of the Libreria Editrice Vaticano, also available from Amazon, published in 2000.
on 23 October 2013
I am a catechist at my local church and this book is a great read. I love the explanation and breakdown of the Creed "I believe".
Please buy one and you'll love it. I strongly recommend this book.
SB
on 8 April 2013
Fantastic edition, comfortable to read, the font is just the right size and overall, the purchase is certainly worth the price. As for the content - it's obviously great! I thoroughly recommend this to all interested!
on 21 June 2011
This is a must have for all Catholics and i would go as far as saying for other faiths! If every household had a copy, this world would be a lot different and a lot better!