Customer reviews

Depressive illness-curse of the strong
Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 March 2017
This is an excellent accessible book which is ideal for those suffering with depression or bi-polar low mood and for those around them. Dr Cantopher nails it! A book you could pick up in the depths of depression as the author himself recommends reading the first few pages until you feel better. It doesn't have the heavygoing workbook style of some books on the illness or the turgid lengthy paragraphs which get into too much detail. I particularly love his opening in the introduction, comparing those with depressive illness and those who 'just hate Mondays' but declare themselves depressed. Also his diagrams show clearly what happens to the brain that 'burns out' and his Staying Well chapter clearly tells everyone that 'if nothing changes everything remains the same' which is why people often repeatedly fall into depression. LOVED IT!
on 31 May 2017
What a fantastic book to read by those who suffer from depression. It was recommended to me by the expert of experts ( as my G.P referred to her) & I'll be forever grateful. It help me to understand the illness & why this happened to me.
on 22 May 2017
recommended to people suffering from stress and depression. It help understand the issue, the effects of medications and provide avenues to cope.
on 30 October 2014
I ordered this copy for myself, having read a friend's copy, previously. I've already lent it to two other friends. It takes a sensible, sensitive and down-to-earth look at depression and its causes, symptoms, treatments and has plenty of good advice about coping with depression, or someone who is suffering from it.
on 20 June 2015
Amazing insight and beautifully written. I'd actually bought the kindle version but got this for a friend when she unfortunately bombed with that horrid acute depression. Guaranteed that with rest, mindfulness and medication this book will get you there.
on 20 March 2017
If you have depression or know of anyone who does - this book is fabulous. I had deep depression a few years ago and reading this I thought ' I could have written it'. explains depression really well, with diagrams explaining how serotonin is depleted (or reabsorbed too quickly) which makes the understanding of depression clear.
on 11 July 2016
This is the book I buy and give to everyone I know who suffers from depression. It is informative, compassionate but not pitying and most importantly, it gives hope.
on 11 July 2017
It's worth a read, but author's tone is trying at best. Huge simplifications around medicalisation and remedy. Main message appears to be "be chill", or "gear down". This doesn't illustrate good understanding of potential patients. Totally abstract and verbose examples are used to entertain ideas around propagation of depression. Good as an introduction but leaves a lot of ground to be covered.
on 9 May 2015
I haven't read all of this book yet - when you're depressed you find tasks like that quite hard, even though it's an extremely easy to read book. But I wanted to write this to let others know just how friendly and reassuring the book is. For the first time in a long time it allowed me to stop feeling guilty for having depression and for feeling worn out / not being able to cope, and that helps a lot.
on 24 October 2017
I want to give this book to all my "strong" friends as mandatory reading. Great practical advice and plenty of it, all written in a no nonsense way.