on 11 December 2000
This book is an excellent summary of the issues involved in living with a debilitating and depressing illness.
The author pulls no punches and obviously speaks from experience, in a language we can all identify with. Most aspects of the disease are covered including the easily overlooked psychological aspect.
I am now in the habit of lending it to family and friends as the author explains things far better than I ever could.
I would strongly recommend this book to anyone who has been recently diagnosed or knows someone who has.
on 13 May 2004
After being diagnosed with Crohn's in March 2004, I went to find all the information that I could about it. This was the book I found, and I have been so grateful for it. It is really easy to understand, because, at 17, I didn't really understand medical jargon, and this explains things in enough detail to make it understandable, but does't over do it. It is a big overview of the illness and because of that, I have found it didn't always have as much information as I would have liked about certain medications. However, in general, this book has been a great way to help not only myself, but my friends and family understand the condition better.
on 16 October 2002
As I work with children who have Crohn's Disease I am often asked by both children and their parent's/guardians if there are any books accessible to them which would help them understand more about what Crohn's Disease is.
I feel this book not only describes medically what the Crohn's Disease patient will experience biologically/medically but also addresses the very important psychosocial issues involved with having the disease.
The language used is straightforward yet not patronising and although I assume that it is not suitable for younger children with the disease I feel that a parent/guardian could easily read the book without and pass on vital information to their child.
Alternatively for the adult with Crohn's Disease the book manages to address the pertinent issues involved with having the disease covering a range of topics from medication, to biological explanations, to discussions about depression and tips on how to maintain relationships and live a 'normal' a life as possible.
on 9 July 2007
I was bought this book in 2005 when I was rushed in to hospital with suspected appendicitis and came out with Crohns.........
This book helped me to get my head around what I now had and how I could help myself. It also gave me an insight, and still does, to the medications I am on and what they do and their effects.

I recommended this to a friend who's brother has Crohns and, again, he found it really useful.

I do hope that they republish this when new medications come out and new research as it is a very handy book to have.
on 14 July 2009
I found this book very good and clearly written to understand chrohn's I wish I bought this book earlier when I was first diagnosed as I did not have much information at the time but would really recommend this book to anyone who has chrohn's or for family and friends to try and understand the diesease.
on 7 January 2010
I found this book to be very informative, and also lent the book out to curious friends, who have also have found the book useful. My only gripe would be that it was published in 2000 and drug treatments have moved on.
on 7 August 2015
So helpful and loads of sensible advice. Ideal for people just diagnosed and also helpful for others to read to understand crohns symptoms.
on 24 November 2012
It was a very interesting incite to help you to understand this terrible illness, although think this book is slightly out dated now !
on 5 January 2013
My friend is currently suffering badly from this awful disease and found this book quite useful for information and advice.
on 7 April 2016
A very helpful insight to the problems associated with this disease, although a more recent update would be appreciated