1,247
Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 February 2013
I heared it first on Radio 4 as a 'book of the week'.. I was particularly interested in the walk along the Pacific Crest Trail and was not disappointed. The book is well written and easy to read once some of the Americanisms have been accepted! Cheryl's life before the walk was well described and blended in well with the walk itself. It was a page turner. Very enjoyable. This is a good example of how to write a book about a walk, and keep the readers interest all the time.
on 23 January 2015
It was suggested by my husband that I read this book. So glad I did. A little slow to start with, but keep reading, it becomes compelling reading. A true story, amazing descriptions. I had never heard of the Pacific Crest Trail before, now I want to find out all about it! Can't wait to see the film! I have given it 5 stars, as its a book I couldn't put down. You feel as though you're walking the trail with the author, every step of the way. Read it! You'll be glad you did!
on 28 February 2015
I absolutely wanted to read this book as I love travel stories, and this one had so many great reviews. However, I was disappointed. Cheryl, the author and main character, is so irritating it's hard to concentrate on anything else. She is self-absorbed and arrogant, and I couldn't relate to her at all. She even seems to boast about her self-destructive behavior, maybe "forgetting" that she also is hurting others (her loving husband, for example!). Most of the time that she spends on the trail she is not happy, complaining about her own choices and things that could have gone differently if only she had prepared better. Oh, she also writes more about her opportunities to have sex on the trail that about the trail itself. Such a shame, considering how a beautiful story this could have been.
on 25 September 2013
told with the emotion which initially drove the author to hike thousands of miles on a journey to sort her head and life out, its the kind of story which is fascinating as I think the adventurous side in most of us either hasn't had the opportunity to take on such a venture or just finds the prospect too daunting.
Cheryl has a way of expressing her sadness so vividly that I have understood more clearly the effect of losing someone close has on a young person.
on 10 October 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed the read. I had seen the film, so I can say that it had kept pretty well to the text, with one or two changes of order and omissions, although as always with the book you get more detail. It's written in a very factual style, with not much emotional rhetoric, (quite refreshing in some ways) but there are some good descriptions of the trail. I'd recommend it especially to walkers. Much of it details the high and low points of extreme walking.
on 19 March 2013
The weather here has been awful, snowing and cold, so reading with the comfort of a log stove has been by far the best option. Wild has transported me from "dreigh" Scottish weather to the heat of the dessert and the "big skies" of California and to the mountains and forests of Oregon. As with all great reads, I'm sad that it is over. This book is a wonderful mix of an intensely personal internal journey with that of an extremely physical one. It was great!
on 7 August 2015
Absolutleuy loved this book, what a great story. I felt like I was there walking with her with the beautuful descriptions.
on 28 March 2013
This book was awe inspiring. I couldn't wait to get to the end of Cheryl' s journey but at the same time didn't want the book to end. Having just lost my own dear Mum.. . . . I am one daughter amongst six sons she was and still is my best friend. . . . .. I really empathised with Cheryl and her sense of loss. However am not nearly so brave and admire her grit and determination go finish what she had started. A really great read-thanks so much
on 21 November 2013
An amazing journey not only of the body but of the soul. Cheryl Strayed captured my mind and my soul too in her sharing of her battles with grief at the death of her mother and overcoming her descent in to dependence on drugs. She shows through her persistence in keeping on walking no matter how much it hurts and how lonely it gets that us humans have the ability to find our authentic selves. Truly inspirational story and very well written.
on 23 March 2015
An enjoyable read, if you have an interest in either actual fell / trail walking, or indeed, more metaphorical journies.