on 10 August 2013
I'm a sucker for strong female characters and Cheryl Strayed is a great example. I found the book uplifting despite some of the themes of drugs, abuse, and depression. In the book, the author goes on a trip unprepared and suffers some of the consequences. I've read other reviews that call it irresponsible and compare it to Into The Wild, where the main character travels to Alaska because he's disillusioned with consumerism and wants to connect with nature. While the trip into nature (and the title) have similarities, I don't think Cheryl is trying to convince anyone to go off and hurt themselves in the wild. She takes a trip to find and heal herself, and she comments on that trip with introspective and insightful musings. She's a funny, sarcastic, and kind narrator and touches on themes of self-loathing and self-healing that spoke volumes to me. After reading about her physically-grueling trip, I decided to take my fitness more seriously and challenge myself more in my life. It's been an inspiring and memorable read.
on 30 April 2017
This book took me way too long to read, apologies, but in the time that I was reading it I began to learn so much about life and love and grief. I genuinely think this book has prepared me for the future and for that I am so grateful to Cheryl.
on 26 April 2014
A great insight into the exorcising of personal demons and finding yourself as well as personal endurance. Having lost my mother and been on my own personal journey I found this book an enjoyable read and helped me realise how far I have come. I recommend this book for anyone who is on their own journey or who has come out the other side.
on 26 June 2017
Book was brand new, good packaging - all good! I enjoyed the story, though I found it a bit slow and harrowing to start off. Once I got into it I was sorry when the story ended.
on 10 March 2015
True story about a self absorbed, self destructive woman who gave herself a hard time to gain some self respect. Not worth the excessive postage cost.
on 22 October 2016
A wonderful adventure that you live through an incredibly likeable person. It will make you want to do bigger and better things!
on 19 June 2016
Cheryl's candour is remarkable. Her story is both enriching and entertaining, that it is also true places this read on my top shelf. Well done good lady.
on 19 April 2015
Reading this book was a pleasure that I did not want to end.. Beautiful and heartbreaking, a story of conquering fears and finding one self through pain and experience... The only way there is. By far my favourite book!
on 7 June 2017
That's a great honest book, it feels real from the first page. It helps to understand what is it in this kind of experiences that makes people come to terms with themselves. For me - better than the film, but the film is good as well.
on 2 April 2016
I really enjoyed this one. Great film and a great book. Also check out [ASIN:B0191ODNJK When evil calls your name.