on 4 April 2012
Yet again CJ Box has proved that Joe and Nate make a double act to rival other great american landscape crime series such as James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux and Clete Purcel.

Starting off with the seemingly indestructible Nate being ambushed, this novel finally lifts the lid on some of the secrets that he has been habouring over the series. The story builds beautifully with a few, not altogether unexpected twists and turns, smoldering to a suitably violent crescendo. This novel concentrates more on Nate that our main hero Joe, but keeps the mythical wilderness of Wyoming as the common denominator and mother nature as the master.

The uncluttered story telling is both evocative and addictive and I was unable to put the book down until finished (yet again). I never thought I would care about a game warden in Wyoming, but this is great crime fiction and I would thoroughly recommend the series to others.
33 Comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 23 November 2016
Wow wow WOW! I have been totally engrossed in Joe's world for some time now. But just when you thought that maybe seeing him write someone a ticket for having one too many fish in their keep net was getting a bit mundane, we get this belter of a book. Some reviews complain of shallow characters and weak plot. Were they reading the same book? This kept me reading well in to the small hours more than once, I could not put it down.

Nate is back, in fact he is pretty much the central character this time, and we get a huge dose of in-fill of his back story, why he is how he is, and how he supports himself too. The constant reference to the parallels between how some of these characters behave and the art of falconry does get slightly tedious at times, maybe a tad overdone, but nevertheless, a real cracker of a story.

I loved it. I am nearing the end of this series of books now, and I am gutted.
on 13 September 2017
Once again Box takes the reader on a nonstop rollercoaster ride through every unimaginable situation and horror scenario that only he can create. Fantastic once again.
on 9 January 2018
Love C.J.Box books starring Joe Pickett. Once opened, cannot put it down. The writer describes the country so well, you can visualise it..so real.
on 1 October 2017
Great story follow up.
on 19 July 2017
Love joe picket
on 22 November 2017
Great value
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Another of Joe pickets adventures that has twists and turns and keeps you hooked so you cannot wait to finish
on 27 July 2017
OK MR BOX
on 6 October 2017
I have worked my way through the Joe Picket books in order for the second time. And enjoyed them just as much.