on 15 September 2013
Did not like this book at all. load of rubbish, only read one chapter and gave it up and deleted from kindle
on 11 November 2015
Laughed so much reading this book. Karl Pilkington is definitely an idiot but a funny idiot.
on 22 April 2013
lovebooksblogbooks.blogspot.co.uk

I finished this this morning, and I've loved every minute of reading it!

The first one was great too. I read both after watching the TV series, which I really enjoyed.

In this one, Karl takes on some of the things from the top 100 things to do before you die Bucket list. This includes Spending a night on his own Desert Island, Traveling the Trans-Siberian Railway, Going Wing Walking, Seeing the Gorillas in their natural habitat, Traveling Route 66, and much more! There are lots of surprises along the way too, thanks to Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant, who lets face it, were never going to make Karl's life easy were they?! The stuff he see's and does is awesome, things some people will never get to experience. But he still whinges and moans about it doesn't he! But that's Karl, it wouldn't have been the same having some happy-go-lucky, smiley cheerful fella doing all of this!

But it's Karl that makes it isn't it. Some of the stuff he says is just ridiculous! I bookmarked some pages to add quotes on my review. Here are a couple which made me laugh:

The Problem I had with driving Route 66 was the way I was continually thinking about getting to the end of it, instead of just enjoying being on it. I was treating it like I was running the London Marathon. I said at the time, it's the same approach I have to eating an orange - I'm so busy trying not to splurt it down my t-shirt or to stop the juice running down my arm, I'm not giving any thought as to whether I'm actually enjoying eating the bloody thing. The only time I can really enjoy an orange is when I'm in the bath, but I don't get to do that very often because the boiler overheats if I try to run a bath, and eating an orange in the shower isn't easy either.

And I remember this very well from the TV show, it made me laugh then, and it made me laugh again yesterday when I read it in the book!

Stephen: Would it interest you to spend time with Eskimos, or Inuits as they like to be called?
Ricky: Yeah don't say Eskimos. That's a derogatory term now, say Inuit.
Karl: Who's come up with that little problem for them? I've never heard an Eskimo moan about that. They've got bigger worries than that. They've got mouldy old bananas and no proper food. It's someone else, in London that, sitting in an office saying 'Oh they don't like that'. They're not bothered! I bet if I called one an Eskimo they wouldn't get upset about it.
Ricky: (laughs)
Karl: People make up little rules. You can't call a midget a midget, they prefer Dwarf, and Leprechauns....
Ricky: Leprechauns don't exist. Leprechauns do not exist.
Karl: Well if they did, they would go 'don't call them that'
Ricky: What do leprechauns prefer to be called?
Karl: Gnomes or something.

I loved reading this, and watching the show. He does mention at the end of the book some of the stuff he done with Warwick Davis on the latest 3 part special Idiot Abroad, but it would be nice for that to be a separate book too.

I love Karl, he is so funny. I would recommend this book to all who want a good giggle! Some fab pictures too!
on 13 May 2014
If you're looking for a book to give you a genuine incite into the world of travel then this is not for you. Anybody who has seen the series 'An idiot aboard' will quickly know that the opinions and observations expressed in this book are not those of your average travel buff. They are those of Karl Pilkington, labelled as an idiot, twonk, and miserable git by his close peers but as a genius to many others, including myself.

The book begins with a bucket list of a hundred things to do before you die. Karl picks some of these and travels to partake in them, sometimes to his own prevail, sometimes to failure. Throughout the book, chapters will be based around these bucket list items. The book also depicts the hilarious conversations using transcript between Karl and his various contacts whom he meets on his journeys as well as his comedian/writer friends Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant.

The highlight of the book is Karl's own observations of what he sees, hears, and thinks of the scenarios and challenges he faces. He is certainly unique and witty in what he makes of where he is sent and what challenge he is given to do.

He doesn't always choose to moan at what he is made to undertake contrary to popular belief, but some of his whacky conclusions and opinions do become somewhat tedious and almost contrived, however most of it is believable, funny, and often vouched for by things he says either earlier or later.

Slight criticisms aside, this book had me smirking very often, and at a few points laughing aloud in public, to my embarrassment.

This book comes highly recommended.
on 11 September 2013
After reading the first instalment of the Idiot Abroad diary I had high hopes for the sequel. However these were short lived and I was left disappointed and a little annoyed. The front cover dubbs this to be "hilarious", but it barely raised a smile. Towards the end of the book you can also tell that Karl couldn't be bothered anymore, with his rushed descriptions in the way he ticked off another as activity from the bucket list. More challenging funnier on screen, don't waste your money and just watch the TV show.
VINE VOICEon 29 September 2013
If you have seen the second series of "An Idiot Abroad" on TV or DVD, then you have had more enjoyment than you will get out of this book (at least you get the visuals on DVD). Karl has a few funny asides to add to his commentary on the trips, but these quickly run out, and the second half of the book is an effort to get through (it feels like it was for Karl too). Avoid.
on 11 September 2014
Loved this. I've listened to quite a few of the Podcasts, and saw bits of the TV programme so knew exactly what to expect. You have to understand who Karl Pilkington is and how he thinks in order to get this book - otherwise it ends up being the ramblings of a mad man! There were quite a few laugh out loud moments (not good for reading on public transport) and the rest of the book gave a gentle smile throughout - you're not really going to learn anything very useful about other cultures from Karl - just his unique take on things. Rather worryingly, I found myself agreeing with what he'd written on more than one occassion!! Highly recommened.
on 5 October 2012
Ha what to say; if your a fan then you probably won't need to guess what this will be like; nor would you need some idiot telling you why you need to buy it. but as i am an idiot i will do anyway :)
As usual you will read a lot of karl Moaning about this and that. though unlike the first book this is less like a diary; to which karl explains in the begining he was too sick to write so he decided to write it all when he was safe from harm and could just get into it. it's a nice hardback. (Though the HMV one has postcards)
I love reading anything by Karl Pilkington he just has this funny way of thinking.
Now i have had this discussion with my sister recently; as she reckons its all fake an act. this whole an idiot abroad. now im on the wave of thinking that don't really mind, if it's genuine then it's really funny but if it is all put on well its still really funny.
Obviously I havent finished it yet. but its one of those books that it doesnt take finishing it to be able to review it.
if you are from another planet or dont watch tv. and dont know what an idiot abroad is. well it pretty much says what it is on the title. Poor Karl Pilkington is sent to different places in the world and tortured (not literally) (think of the films Saw. but instead of Jigsaw its Ricky Gervais and Steven Merchant) the first series premise was the seven wonders of the world. the second one was a bucket list.
which i think gave the series more scope and more ways to give poor Karl a bad time.
The book isn't just a recounting of his travels throughout the second series. we do get his thoughts on other bucket list that he didn't do. and the whole Bungey jump thing at the begining is funny. he does moan a lot about not wanting to jump.
So is this book a laugh out loud Romp through the eys of an idiot?
yes.... but you don't need me to tell you. if you are aware of Karl Pilkington then you know what you will get with this book.
usually im more a crime novel reader the darker the better. or a good book with a powerful story. but since i discovered Karl do admit the funny ones are also good to read.

well if your an idiot you will not buy this book.... (well i will be expecting book sales to shoot up the roof now) :)
Enjoy....
on 28 July 2013
Unfortunately Karl Pilikington's shelf life has run its course. Initially he was entertaining this was a man who was a genuinely funny guy innocent of fame he just told you what he thought unfiltered. I now feel that he has become the victim of his own success. Ricky Gervais has turned him into a star, rightfully so, but you can't help feeling that he is now acting up to the cameras and his character has become somewhat manufactured by Gervais and Merchant. Karl now seems to know what makes people warm to him and he plays up to this role so for me he does not seem his natural self anymore.This is to be expected given that he has now attained a cult celebrity status. Its still a good series and a good book but just take what you see and read with a pinch of salt. These days Karl has got a lot more savvy than what he lets on.
on 21 February 2014
If you are a fan of Karl, then I think you will certainly enjoy this book. Series 2 of hit show "An Idiot Abroad" is told in Karl's own words, with lots of photographs. Crammed with Karl's witty sense of humour in every page, you'd have to laugh at this book. Just a word of advice, do not read the book in public, you could get some funny looks from others when you are sittingon a bus. Great value for money also, recommend you take advantage, it is seriously worth it!