Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 July 2017
Interesting book, the author talks about photographs he thinks are important. Some of the big names are left out: it is as if when Adams photographs a mountain, it is just that; likewise when Cartier Bresson photographs a man jumping a puddle. But when Lange or Frank photographs a road it is much more than that.
Heavy bias towards the US. No important photos taken in WW2 it seems.
Irritatingly the colour photos are all at the end rather than in the right place in the text.
on 8 January 2016
I am reading this book in slow easy chunks and finding it fascinating. The way the author combines commentaries on photographs with meditations of life in general makes for a much better read about photography than simply analysing techniques and f numbers. My only issue, as with other reviewers, is the poor reproduction of photos. Even more annoying - consider we are meant to share the contemplation of each picture - is that some photos are not even there. My advice - have your iPad open and google pictures as they get a mention and then have each before you as read Geoff Dyer's text. He is one of my favourite writers and I am looking forward to White Sands.
on 20 September 2013
Fascinating insights. Love Dyer...poetic yet down to earth. I recommend this wholeheartedly. Goes alongside Sontag's 'On Photography' as one of the most interesting books on photography.
on 7 July 2015
The most unusual book on photography that I have read, and the most enjoyable. Free of all pretension and full of insight, gossip, and entertainment.
on 26 August 2013
I am now really enjoying this book on photographers and photography. I don't always agree with Geoff Dyer's sense of the photographs he has chosen to reflect on but that is a good thing. This book is also making me think about my own photography which I also like.
on 21 July 2016