on 26 January 2015
A vision of the future perhaps or maybe of the past. It may be one of GDs earlier books and tending towards sci-fi but none the worse for it. Couldn't put it down.
on 10 November 2014
Very dissapointing. Wasnt sure what to expect, but it was pretty lousy writing. Starts OK, but quickly degenerates into garbage. Very weak allusions to 'noir' literature in the vien of Chandler minus the talent for realism. The magical realism that enters the story haflway through and then dissapears is just lame. This guy should stick to non-fiction and travel type writing. I dont recommend this book, but this is just one voice on the web.
on 11 January 2012
Dyer creates the most wonderful imagery. The scenes are very movie like. Short punchy and visually seductive.
The film noir characters and plot eventually become a road trip and semi-surreal take on the trash of American life in the hot south.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 29 July 2013
While picking up a few books at the library the slanted text on the cover of the 'Search' caught my eye in amongst pretty but mostly routine other book covers, worked hard at and packaging other author's dreams. I liked the conventional starting chapters, became amused and attracted by - The Seven Basic Plots - Mystic Journey, and then could not get to the end quick enough. I think I would have stopped reading if the book had been any longer. Given my allrighters' writing is also dream based and unusual I have purchased a copy of the book on Amazon to read again. The long sex scene on page 86 is great. I will try other Geoff Dyer books. My current mix of reading Robert Goddard, Geoff Dyer and Jon Mcgregor certainly makes for variety.
on 25 November 2004
I like Geoff Dyer and his "But Beautiful" is just astonishing, but this one doesn't quite do it for me. I did enjoy reading it but was left feeling that it was all a bit silly really.