on 23 November 2017
Excellent read. Each chapter deals with a different aspect of being in the wilderness. Gets me excited to get the hills again and experience the wilderness first hand. Thanks, Nan!
on 13 June 2017
Beautifully poetic and well worth a read
on 11 June 2017
a classic - looking and looking again and again, and only then does one begin to see - this is a beautiful and powerful book
on 31 December 2012
Nan Shepherd's little book captures the essence of mountains and their lure for those of us who love them in a way I have never experienced in any other book. She is not interested in conquering mountains, but rather in knowing them intimately. She has an incriedible eye for detail, and many times I found myself thinking that she had found the perfect expression for my own mountain experiences. My only criticism is of the introduction. The contextual background to Nan's life is useful, but the exposition of the text is unnecessary as it speaks so eloquently for itself.
on 12 October 2017
Fabulous writing - every chapter a prose poem - vivid observation of the Cairngorms. Her personality shines through.
on 21 September 2017
an exquisite little book, beautifully written revealing the Cairngorms through the seasons. Unique.
on 26 January 2013
the finest work about hills and nature that i have read. this slim volume is essential reading for all who venture into, and wish to be part of, nature and landscape. anyone who reads this will look differently at their surroundings on their next trip into mountain, plateau, glen or the wilderness.
on 14 October 2008
This book is the most incredibly beautiful evocation of the Cairngorm Mountains in Scotland. It is like reading poetry. I was living in Aberdeen in the seventies when it was published, and read it then, and like the author I walked and camped for days on my own in the Cairngorms and came to love their special qualities of light and space, spareness and harsh wild beauty. I met the author once, and was struck by her blue eyes full of the distance. She spoke so lovingly of the hills, and so descriptively. What a pity this wonderful book is no longer in print. It deserves to be. I read an article by Robert Macfarlane about it in a newspaper recently. He has discovered it, and I so wish many more people could do so too. We need wildness for our souls.
22 Comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 June 2010
For those who love the mountains for the emotional, spiritual and inspirational nourishment that they provide, then this book expresses it all in a very personal relationship with the mountains written in both poetic and philosophical prose. Beautifully written avoiding all the usual action, disaster and/or heroics associated with mountain stories.
0Comment| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 31 December 2014
What a delight! I know many of the places described here but I have to ay I couldn't hope to describe them with such wit and obvious love. Honestly some of the passages in here are better than photographs, they are so evocative, and if ever a book makes you want to be somewhere else then this is the one. What I particularly like is that nan Shepherd doesn't see the need to be all macho or emphasize the toughness of the environment that many male authors might, and this allows for a very open, loving yet honest description of possibly the most brutal yet by turns beautiful areas of Britain