Customer reviews

Simon's Cat vs. The World!
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 8 February 2013
Simon's Cat made it's name with black and white line drawings and animations. But for the first time in book form, Simon's Cat vs the World boldly departs from the tried and tested, proven formula, and goes full colour. It could be said to be a bit of a gamble. But it is a gamble that pays off.

A full page is now devoted to each gag, now beautifully illustrated in full colour. This may seem like you are getting fewer gags for your buck - and indeed the book is slimmer than previous editions - but don't be misled. Because firstly, with full page full colour spreads, this book has clearly needed far more work than a collection of small line drawings might - meaning we actually get MORE for our money. And secondly, the new format works.

Simon's Cat has been transformed into a work of colourful delight (which incidentally is more likely to appeal to children). Many of the pages are drawn, coloured and shaded quite sublimely - little works of art in their own right. More importantly, Simon's strong points are in his observational humour and his attention to detail, and the full page format lends itself to this perfectly. Each page is a short story all in itself, with little incidentals going on all around the main action. Gags within gags, if you will. Simon has filled his pages with little observations and jokes, some of which you may even miss on first viewing. Go back and look again!

The supporting cast has grown as the books have gone on and Simon has made more and more use of them as the series has progressed. With the full page format this cast has come into it's own. Each bird and hedgehog and rabbit - and the gnome of course! - has his own character, his own reaction to the goings on, and few illustrations are as simple as "What is Simon's Cat doing?" How his friends are reacting around him, what else is transpiring behind him, is just as humourous. In fact, in my opinion, it is the supporting cast, and their reactions, and all the little details going on BEHIND Simon's Cat, that makes this volume such a gem.

I love this book and (rather obviously) highly recommend it.

One last word though: Aren't we rather overdue a DVD or three?
7 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 24 March 2013
I am a huge fan of Simon Tofield's cat, however this book has not done for me what the other three have, it tells no stories. They are simply one page wonders of the cat versus something. I empathised as a cat owner with so many of the cartoons in the past books (especially trying to takee the cat to the vet and also the cat drinking from the bathroom sink), this just seemed like it was capitalising on a good thing and Simon is beginning to run out of ideas. Each page will make you smile and some will make you laugh, but it is a little of "well, I read it once, now what do I do".
on 28 October 2013
"The perfect quality of the book is remarkable, you would not know it's second hand. For the lowest price as well, this is the bargain of the week. This Simon's Cat book is one of the best as Simon illustrates his characters for the first time with simple, block colours and it works perfectly. It's like the television change from black and white to colour, outstanding. Perfect for any age - 5 STAR!"
on 8 January 2013
This is another clever book about Simons cat that reminds all cat lovers of things their own cat does to amuse!! I suppose that a lot of the content has been seen in other volumes and simply been re-jigged under this title, but hey, the humour and entertainment is still there and I would definitely say it is worth owning this book in order ot be able to dip into now and then and have a quiet chuckle.
on 26 February 2013
As a cat owner I have to say that a lot of the scenes in the animations(YouTube)are quite true to life lol,although I have never been whacked on the head by my cat while sleeping.I purchased this book for my Daughters 6th Birthday coming up in April and I hope she likes it.We love watching Simon's Cat shorts together so I'm sure this will be right up her street.I'll probably end up pinching it myself........
on 29 November 2012
If you are interested in cat psychology this book is a essential primer, but basically I like it because Simon Tofield is, as usual, very funny. Things have moved on in the last year and the annual stocking filler is now in glowing colour, with a larger cast of characters. Go on, you know someone who wants one …
on 3 November 2012
After his preceding books being all in black and white,I was not too sure how I would feel about the latest book being in colour, but I actually like it - not sure though which I prefer...I have to say,it takes some getting used to (being in colour).
Personally,I love his animations more than the books - if ever a DVD comes out of Simon's Cat,I'll be the first to buy one!I love the sound effects and you do not get that with the books (obviously!).Any fan should buy this book - I have ALL the books myself.I love Simon's Cat.Simon Tofield is a genius!
on 9 August 2013
I coupled this book with a few other Simon's Cat products as a birthday gift for a friend who loves cats (and Simon's) but cannot have them in the place he currently lives. He was really happy with it so I assume this was a good purchase.
on 26 November 2012
If you're not a fan of Simon's Cat; you will be after this! And you would want to collect all of his books!
I loved this one as it was in colour and you got to see him get up to more mischief in the big wide world! Silly cat is very silly but highly entertaining! Go buy!
on 11 November 2017