on 4 December 2012
I flicked through this in a shop and thought the pictures looked nice, and they do; very pretty indeed. However, there isn't much in the way of inspiration for projects; there are about 9 pages left intentionally blank for you to jot your OWN ideas down; and if I read the words 'handy dandy' or 'peachy' once more, I shan't be held responsible for my actions! I realise every writer has their own style, but what might seem cutesy and cool on a blog is irritating in the extreme in print.

Also, the projects aren't anything you couldn't have thought of yourself. One of them is painted wooden hangers- 'get your hangers; paint them'. And they're called recipes, not projects... All in all, only buy this if you have a very high tolerance for cutesy, twee, coquettish middle-class girlishness. I haven't, and I will probably give this book away to anyone who'll have it.
on 22 January 2013
Although this is a pretty book to flick through I didn't find one 'recipe' that I wanted to follow. Found it all a bit twee and the words babyish. Also didn't think the instructions were all that informative - get a teacup, put a wick in it and fill with wax! What about temperature to melt the wax, size/ type of wick, correct type of wax. Just not enough useful info for my liking.
on 21 November 2012
I really wanted to like this book... I'm sure the two writers are brilliant artists and inspirational people but I there isn't loads of variety in this book and it failed to inspire me. Lots of use of dollies, 3 ideas on sanding down furniture and repainting, 30% of ideas were crocheting.... Of none of those ideas are your thing then its slim-pickings. Also 4-6 pages were left intentionally blank for the reader to jot down ideas, I don't know about other crafters but i have my own book for ideas and sketches so I felt this was a bit naughty really. Really pretty book, well written and with some lovely pictures but overall when it comes to actual craftiness it's a bit of a 'fur coat and no knickers' situation.
on 23 November 2012
I read about this in a magazine and decided to treat myself, expecting it to be full of instructions for making things. What a joke! Of the around 162 pges, 93 are pictures and there are NINE pages of lined paper for your own notes.I don't think it's "peachy" or "handy dandy." I don't have a tatty old caravan I want to 'decorate' so to have pages of caravan pics instead of "recipes" is a waste of time for most readers.
I was really disappointed in the "recipes" - eg, get some wooden hangers and paint them. Well, I really need a book to tell me that!
My copy arrived from Amazon last week, price £11.25 and I saw a pile in Bargain Books yesterday at £5.99 each. Even that is too dear in my opinion.
44 comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 February 2013
I really like Tifs blog. I love the pictures and her use of language. This is more a coffee table book than an inspirational project book. The photos are tasteful, it's selling a lifestyle. I wouldn't really make any of the things in this book as I already own them. I really wanted meatier projects-Granny Chic dresses (not hangers) Bit too basic for me; but a lovely idea.
on 30 October 2012
loved it, so much more than a craft book but an inspiring interiors book too. Each page is packed with ideas and wisdoms and I love the notebook pages so I can scribble my own thoughts down. Granny chic is an eclectic mix of past and present styles, ideas and recipes and a must for anyone who fancies a dabble in this interesting style....
Granny Chic: Crafty recipes & inspiration for the handmade home from dottie angel and ted & agnes
on 2 November 2012
a lovely book with gorgeous photography by Catherine Gratwicke, great crafty makes and a wonderful design.
Well worth buying if you love vintage florals, handmade craft ideas, I'm going to have a go at making the make-do dishcloths!
Thanks Tif & Rachelle for creating such a fab book X
on 25 October 2014
This book is lovely!! However, it seems to annoy the very serious crafters with its gentle tongue-in-cheek rosy spectacles style. I'm happy to say I LOVE this ditzy, kitsch, peachy, doily world and would recommend it to anyone who sighs with delight over anything floral, yarny and lacy :-) You can't please all the crafters all the time, but this book pleases me!
on 27 March 2013
Nope, not my thing. Ordered it because of what someone else said. The wording doesn't bother me like it has others, but it's a book trying to look pretty. Instead it's full on granny, but not granny chic. Not my thing, but could be someone else's.
on 31 October 2012
"If thou of fortune be bereft,
and in thy store there be but left
two loaves, sell one, and with the
dole, buy Granny Chic to feed thy soul."

With apologies to Moslih Eddin Saadi

Granny Chic by Tif and Rachelle has been well worth the wait - what a beautiful and engaging book. It feels good from the moment you pick it up; a cover reminiscent of barkcloth and just the right feel and weight to the inside pages to suggest the kind of book that becomes a well stuffed, long lived and loved resource.

The content more than lives up to the promises made - every page is crammed with the kind of eclectic imagery and colourways quintessential to its title; and fabrics I can only dream of finding! There is plenty of space for your own noted and ideas too. Whether you are a full blown devotee or someone who's granny soul is only just emerging, this book gives you confidence to try things out - practical patterns and ideas are not complicated but inspirational and achievable....and don't even get me started on Maude and Gladys!

It's writers encourage a thrifty, Granny Chic mindset, with a focus on being individual - not a mere slavish following of instructions or formulaic approach to decorating - it is this lifestyle and attitude, so willingly shared by its writers that makes the book both comforting and refreshing at the same time - just lovely.