on 8 November 2012
I absolutely LOVE this book. I often find myself curling up on the sofa with it and just reading it from cover to cover again and again. The pictures, layout and texture are just so inviting and the way in which it's written so engaging. I want to make absolutely everything from it as gifts for Christmas, but have persuaded myself to keep some things back for future years. I thoroughly recommend it as a gift for anyone interested in cooking, gardening or just making lovely things.
on 14 December 2012
I came across this book by chance and as I love cooking and giving self-made presents I decided that I had to have it! Moreover now we have a vegetable plot and a big garden where I can grow anything I feel like as long as it grows in this climate and type of soil. Every time the author presents suggestions she introduces a new type of herb, fruit or vegetable and gives suggestions of how to grow them.

The photos are very beautiful so is the overall layout. This is also a beautiful book to have on the coffee table or to give as a gift! I haven't tried any of the suggestions yet (there are recipes for cheese, cakes, beauty creams, liqueurs and much more!) but I have already adopted some of the packaging ideas for my Christmas presents! I am sure that I will be trying out many of the suggestions in the near future, if not most of them! I recommend it from the bottom of my heart! Really worth the purchase!
on 17 April 2016
Love this book and have already collected pine cones to make fire lighters and small empty jars for lip balm not forgetting tiny Kilner containers for flavoured salts. This year my gifts will be from my garden. Buy this book and like me you'll be in charity shops looking for suitable old baking trays to make soap.
on 9 August 2014
Prepare to surrender your senses, this book is a delicious assault on the pleasure zone from before page one. I cannot remember the last time that I had a new book with Endpapers. Wonderful. The look and feel of this beautifully produced volume inspires the reader to believe that they too can create beautiful and inspiring gifts just like the author herself. Equally ravishing photography matches the seductive writing that tempts one to rush into the garden, grab a handful of leaves and an old tin can and (in a Blue-Peter-Here's-One-I-Made-Earlier moment) produce gifts that would put Antita Roddick and the etire Conran Clan to shame. When I was a child I had the Ladybird book of Things to Make and Do, which taught me that a clutch of cotton reels and some string was all I needed to eclipse Fisher Price. Now that I have put aside childish things, my adult indulgences are well served by this wonderful book. Parsley dog biscuits (to counter terrier-breath) and home made creme de cassis (an autumn-season of kirs before bedtime) are on my immediate to do list, and I shall be rescuing old creme de marons tins from the recycle bin to become designer planters now that Debora Robertson has shown me the way. And there are so many recipes that will be tried in the coming months, for certain, whether for using as gifts or propping up my own comfort zone.

The cosmetics and skin care stuff is probably beyond me, but so many of these ideas are explained so simply and described with such seductive ease and skill I am won over by the encouring words to aspire to the glorious pictures than make this a rest-on-your-knees, Sunday morning breakfast in bed, page turner.

And if you really cannot be bothered to make such tempting gifts as the author suggests, then the only alternative present to consider giving anyone is this very book itself.
on 30 April 2015
Was surprised it was a hardback (but need to pay attention next time!) - Smashing book full of wonderful ideas and recipes for everyone. Choc-a-block full of lovely ideas for presents from the garden from planting to prep. Briefly flicking through, there are Lots of gardening tips as well as decorated stationery, bottled foods, household stuff like fabric conditioner and moth-repellant.., soaps, dog bisbuits, table decorations, candles, various (Gorgeous!) toiletries, handwarmers.. there's even a recipe for 'Marigold cheese' and the list goes on and on and I haven't mentioned a fraction of what's inside. It is quite comprehensive and also seasonal as well, with Christmas wreaths and table decorations etc. Loved the recipes and loved all the luscious pics. If you just LOVE stuff like this, you won't be disappointed!
on 6 November 2013
I have made numerous items from this book.
Soaps, firelighters, flavoured oils, edible wreaths, bath bombs.
Loads more to still create, best get busy as these shall be mt christmas gifts this year.
Can not recommend enough!
on 18 January 2013
This book is lovely-just right for reading snuggled up by an open fire watching the snow coming down!
It has a wealth of information and ideas.It would make a nice present for anyone who loves gardening and/or has an interest in making their own gifts or just things for their own home.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
on 10 May 2014
I love this book. It is cleverly written with something for everybody. I am busy collecting ingredients for various things to try in the future having already made a couple of things with the ingredients I already had.
on 11 May 2013
I'm so excited about lots of things in this book. They are great to make yourself fragrant treats for round the house. A rose facial scrub, some pretty smelling room spray, some lemon and geranium biscuits and some lavender wine jelly. Debora has got some lovely ideas and I'm going to follow her blog now too!
on 2 April 2015
What a delightful book! Have had this in my wish list for quite a while and finally bought it. It's got so many beautiful ideas you can practically smell them! Great book for yourself or to give as a gift!
review image