TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 21 October 2015
A book of two halves really. The first half setting the scene and introducing the characters along with the political background the soldiers work within. And whilst it needed to be done in order to set up the series, fact is, it was a bit laboured.

Second half - well around the 60% point - things warmed up and the military juices flowed, making an enjoyable military sci-fi romp. It's not going to be brain challenging and Campbell paints the geo-political scene with brush strokes as obvious as a marker pen on the Mona Lisa. Corporations are evil grubbers (and whilst that has certain truths, there are also shades of grey) whilst the military officers are so bad they would seem to struggle to know how to breath which is somewhat silly. Fact is officers are not morons - at least not all of them - and it could have been dealt with perhaps with more subtly.

Stark is basically 'Black Jack Geary,' in a different role - which works well enough in this genre. You are not going to get a character of great depth but he will kick butt.

Overall a decent enjoyable sci-fi romp with potential to develop.
VINE VOICEon 23 April 2012
I started reading the Lost fleet a few years back and after getting a kindle and gift card for Christmas I decided to treat myslef to this trilogy from Jack Campbell. After the usual fast and easy service from Amazons I settled down to read the set. I have to say that there are some similarities between the series, the commanding officer who doesn't want the job, the military being controlled by increasingly inept politicians who in this case are in the grip of powerful corporations who don't care about anything except profit. I always get the feeling that a lot of the militaristic attitudes are from personal experience (which i believe the author has) which makes them all the more readable. As books go this series is an easy read, I don't mean that they are lightweight or throwaway, but they are well written, easy to get into and very hard to put down, I have read all three and enjoyed the full set, the story arc is well plotted and fills the three volumes nicely. While I am a fan of Sci-Fi and fiction works in gerneral I have to say that I love these books and the Lost Fleet series so to any other sci-fi fans out there I recommend them heartily, I love the easy storytelling without the host of boring dry technical details that you find in a lot of fiction works which keeps the plot rolling and the story flowing nicely. Excellent set, now waiting for the JAG in space series to appear for the Kindle.
on 7 February 2016
This book left me cold. The themes seems to be, war benefits the rich, anyone not a career front line soldier is a moron in military hierarchy and war is tedium bookended by pant wetting terror.

Sadly this book jars into and out of that last point, there is a lot of tedium and even the battle scenes so uninteresting that flashbacks to other fights are injected to distract you from them.

The lack of character depth and the lack of continuity made reading this a chore for me.
on 9 May 2016
With a similar premise as Robert A Heinlein's "The Moons a harsh mistress".
But based in a future of nano technology and powered battle suits.
Some rather horrible predictions on the future of imbedded cyber technology (if you cant wait until the first implanted iPhone is available, do not I repeat do not read this book)
Containing excellent battles, with the dreadful outcome of injury in a vacuum.
It's one of those I'd wish I found this book sooner moments.
on 14 August 2015
Having hugely enjoyed the Lost Fleet and Lost Stars series, I find it difficult to believe that Jack Campbell wrote this as well. It seems to be a "Lions led by donkeys " fantasy exaggerated by the long screwdriver potential of computer command and control systems. However the generals' total control philosophy is totally at odds with current mission analysis doctrine and would have been disproved and shown to be unsustainable by any military that actually tried to put it into practice. Supposedly Stark is part of an army that had been in constant conflict so the premise is even less believable. The politics are also ridiculously sixth form anti-capitalist. Very poor.
2 people found this helpful
on 4 November 2011
The reluctant hero steps up to lead because of a useless chain of command assisted by a beautiful, intelligent female sidekick... where have I heard that story line before? Oh... Lost Fleet!

It's not quite as compelling as Lost Fleet, but the main plot is nearly identical to the first book in that series. I had hoped for a different plot.

It does reflect some thought about military mindsets and possibly how Americans think of themselves, only distorted to the extreme.

I suppose the true test of my rating is would I read the second? Probably not, unless I couldn't find anything to read and I found it cheap in a second hand shop. It's predictable comfort reading but no more I am afraid.
on 12 March 2012
It took me a while to figure out what it was with this book that made me a bit uneasy. Suddenly it dawned on me that Jack Campbell always seems to write single storyline books (correct me if I'm wrong I haven't read all of his work). But I'm so used to read books with multiple storylines that bothered me a bit. There's only the hero's view.

The end of the series is a bit too predictable adn it's a light read but enjoyable enough (I bought all 3 books in one go and I didn't regret it). Not big literature but then I read to relax so this series served it's purpose.
2 people found this helpful
on 24 October 2012
This book is okay. Its worth reading as long as your expectations are not too high. The moon warfare is interesting and entertaining, but the story lacks feeling and depth. There is occasionally too much dialogue and the like most of Jack Cambells heroes, the main character is shallow and a bit too goody goody.

If you enjoyed the lost fleet series then you might enjoy this too. Its probly a 3.5 but is worth reading.
on 14 June 2015
It's a bit slow getting started but improves as it goes. I had decided after reading the first part of the book that I wasn't impressed, but by the time I had finished I decided I want to read the rest in the series! Well worth sticking with.
on 19 May 2013
Sgt. Stark leads his men against the enemies of the US, but find that his officers are very poor and try to micro manage all that he is ordered to do, he howver does everything he can to protect his men and complete his missions. I did not put this book down until I had finished at which point i started the next book in the trilogy.