Customer reviews

on 3 January 2013
Charley's War spanned the formative years of my life - I started buying Battle in 1976, aged 7, and continued with it (except for a brief hiatus in 1980-1, for which the reprinted volumes filled in the gaps) up to the age of 17 in 1986 when CW finished. It is incredible that CW holds me enthralled in the same way it did as a child/adolescent. The large part of this is down to the incredible detail and accuracy that Joe Colquhoun put into the artwork. The new reproductions in the last few volumes based on Joe's originals show the crispness and alacrity that he brought to every frame. Truly stunning.

My own son will be 10 next year and I will introduce him to all the volumes.

Titan, Pat, if you're reading ... you MUST go all the way through to the end of the series. Gladstone's review is spot on - it would be the most fitting tribute to Joe's brilliance to memorialise his glorious CW artwork through to the end.
on 16 January 2013
We have all 9 of the volumes (1 more to go), and have loved the stories and development of the character - artistry is excellent and really educates and entertains at the same time. I think this is the best of the 9 so far (which says a lot!), cannot wait for the next one, but will be sad too - as it is the last!
on 26 December 2012
I,of course,am the target audience for these books having grown up with Victor,Eagle,2000AD,Battle etc.This series is a classic.When you read the stories in the comic on a weekly basis,it never occurred to you that it was like an illustrated novel and when you finished they just went in the bin (sad,shake of head!!).I'm so glad that the 'powers that be' are committing these stories to book form for future generations to enjoy.Johnny Red next........
on 24 July 2017
fantastic series, cant recommend it highly enough.
on 6 June 2013
I used to have the battle comic when I was a child, I never really understood how good the story tellers were or are. very pleased I found the books, very sad that there is only one book left.
on 13 December 2012
For the last nine years I have looked forward to late Autumn when the latest volume of the poignant, superbly written and exquisitely illustrated Charleys War is published. I loved this story when I was a lad, and still do 33 years later! It ought to be compulsory reading for youngsters. Next year is the final volume :-(
on 15 January 2013
This is a must for my husband whose passion is history, in particular the first world war. A brilliant graphic novel as you would expect from the Charley's War series.
on 31 March 2015
A gift that was very well recieved
on 17 June 2017
As described , well packed
on 4 April 2013
Very interesting and well documented (historically)
I love war-comics and this one is plenty of action and
very good art.