Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 October 2012
This is very nice looking book, both to look at and to hold - it's rare to get hardcover books for children. I borrowed it from the library for my 7 year old daughter and managed to read several chapters of it before my daughter came home from school. I don't know about my daughter, but I can't wait for the next one.
The illustrations are lovely, obviously Axel Scheffler and the story, so far, reminds me of Roald Dahls' The Twits. It's a nice change to get a decent, even if nonsensical, chapter book. It's lots of fun, I expect for boys as well as girls.
on 17 September 2012
My 8 year old son (reluctant reader) and my 10 year old daughter (avid reader) both loved this. they can't wait for the next one. highly recommended.
on 18 November 2012
This was a perfect present for a nine year old. She really enjoyed it.
Good humour with amazing illustrations!Will be a favourite soon.
on 29 August 2013
I have thoroughtly enjoyed reading this book throughout my Summer holidays.The grunts weird and wacky ways have left me on the edge of my seat. This book, by Philip Ardagh, is well and truely one of my favourites.

As I myself am of a younger age, I feel like this book would be suitable to children from the age of 8-15.

I have loved this book and I hope that you do to!
on 7 June 2013
My son and daughter both love this book. It is easy to read for my 9 year old. My 7 year old reads it to me with help.
on 18 February 2013
This book is very good because it has amazing description and funny words and my brother and I really enjoyed it!
on 9 February 2013
what a nice read - quite funny and a simple story - the children loved it and I did !
on 17 September 2013
Have been looking for some new books for my son, he has been reading Tom Gates and Mr Gum, and these seem to be a similar kind of thing. He has asked for the second one in the series.
on 6 January 2015
Purchased as part of by 9yr olds school reading project, she loved this book and found very funny, would buy more in the series
on 23 July 2014
On a bit of a mid-grade binge, I decided to grab a copy of this in my local library as it sounded a bit like Roald Dahl's The Twits, which was one of my favourite books as a child. Plus Philip Ardagh is a bit of a legend in children's publishing and twitter for his bearded delightful tweets and hosting NonCon.

A funny, nonsense sort of a book that brings us the world of the Grunts and their young lad, Sunny, who wears a dress and is a kindly soul. It's a mad-capped adventure that involves an elephants, bees, poorly made metal railings, donkeys, weird food and a special map. I honestly enjoyed all the giggles and mishaps along the way and think The Grunts was a lovely looking book too. Beautiful artwork that was well-spread out through out the story.

Philip is a silly man in the best possible way. He likes things that don't make sense, but in his world of storytelling they make perfect sense. Why wouldn't someone live in a large scale piece of food? Why wouldn't you want an elephant to pull your DIY home, if you had one?

Crazy and wonderful. For fans of Roald Dahl, Mr Gum and the like.