Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 September 2017
Great introduction to lots of different styles of text.
on 25 May 2013
I am using this book as a resource for a 'Read Aloud' group with a Year 5 class and a Year 6 class.

I read the extracts/poems to them, stopping occasionally to discuss vocuabulary/inferred meaning etc.

The children then go away and write a short review of the piece and if they will take it further ie read the book in the original.

The two year groups are taken separately in break time (30 mins) and everyone seems to be enjoying the pieces - I run it as a voluntary club and most children have joined.

I would thoroughly recommend the book to parents and teachers to use as an introduction to a whole variety of different genres of writing.
on 10 December 2012
Lovely book with lots of interesting and fun poems and prose but may be aimed a bit above your average child, think adults and teenagers might enjoy it more .
on 16 November 2013
Wonderful collection of short stories, excerpts from longer ones and poetry. My daughter was held captive when I read her Neil Gaimans "Instructions" for the first time and now almost knows it by heart.
on 8 February 2014
Reading should be fun, if it's going to be done independently, for pleasure. My son doesn't like what I liked at his age. This is a splendid compendium of the very old and very new. I've found authors and poets I hadn't read before. I read him something that stunned him and caused him to ask for 'more like that' - so I bought the book. I found out about it through the Reader's Organisation who have used it to inspire children to read and learn.
on 31 January 2014
Presentation

Cover distinctive although not sure what is in the blob. Cover 3.0

Contents

Wonderful from a first flick though

Larger font than the adult version a bonus

We read on .... Alexander of Allrighters and Ywnwab!

June 2014 Eventually finished. Missed the comments after each piece as in the adult version. Some nice stories and poems but not quite as good as the adult version.
on 13 March 2016
This volume would have so many uses in schools, youth groups (and even with adults). An inspired range of literature and poetry to use as a basis for discussing modern themes. I will use it constantly.
on 25 December 2014
Good for shared reading sessions. Wide selection of material suitable for use with a wide age range if selected carefully. Have even used some of the material with older people.
on 20 February 2014
My son been asking me for this book for ages so finely I've bought it and thank God I did , really love every word of it and my son reads the book everyday .
on 20 July 2013
I have used this book to read out loud to adults in a residential home.
The stories are appropriate for a range of ages.