Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 28 February 2017
If you haven't bought this or haven't read this, you must, it's a classic!
6 classic fairy stories made even more gruesome and whole lot funnier. If you love Roald Dahl, you will love these stories. Each story is short and rhyming with wonderful Quentin Blake illustrations.

The stories are:
Cinderella
Jack and the Beanstalk
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Goldilocks and the Three Bears
Little Red Riding Hood and the Wolf
The Three Little Pigs

Each story is hilarious, with humour that appeals to my 6 and 4 year olds, as well as their (*ahem*) 37 year old mother!

I cannot do justice here, to the clever writing and rhyming, but just one example I love is rhyming "palace" with "jealous" by spelling it 'jalous'. It always makes me laugh.

Every line is a treat and there are a number of lines that will stay with you forever, such as:
"The small girl smiles. One eyelid flickers.
She whips a pistol from her knickers."

Although I adore this book, one word of warning: if you have a young child, who is sensitive, you might want to wait a while. My 4 year old daughter was a bit scared at first, so I left it. But now she is 6 she enjoys it. And my 4 year old son was fine straight away. There is violence (but then there is in all fairy stories).

The BBC have also made a great animated version of this, where they have cleverly weaved the stories together. A must watch too.

In summary: A classic, you must buy.
(The kindle version is great too)
on 6 March 2017
This is a collection of naughty rhymes, giving an alternative account of familiar nursery rhymes. In these verses, moms are eaten, heads are chopped off, and scullery maids make demands to patient fairies. Each verse balances the on the edge of "inappropriateness" in true Dahl fashion. In the same way that "George's Marvellous Medicine" gave birth to a generation of cough-syrup-addicted sociopaths, this book is fast turning children into fur-coat wearing fashionistas from the upper crust...
On a serious note, the text is simple yet challenging enough for KS1 KS2. The plots are rich, with the exception of Goldilocks, which favours critical thought over style, and gives the book a mid-point to balance on. It ends with the same captivating pace that it starts, making it suitable for anytime reading.
It should engage adults as well, and here, the medium font makes it easy on the eyes. Some of the italicised font is difficult in low light, but as they say, eyesight is overrated... This book is definitely a keeper, but remember: buy the colour version.
on 23 September 2016
I absolutely love these large colour format Roald Dahl editions and Revolting Rhymes is one that my husband and I both especially love from our childhoods. We really look forward to reading this with our young boys. The big bold pictures of these editions will help younger children progress from picture books, but with fantastic stories that all ages will love to bits! It is a shame that they aren't available as hard back editions as they would make beautiful gifts.
review image review image
on 3 July 2017
A great book and my daughter was hooked having connected a couple of the stories from the TV.
I have never known her read a book so intently or so quickly and then read again and again - great when she is only 6!
on 26 April 2017
Brilliant... (but just for fun, look out for the Bowdlerisation in 'Cinderella' ).
on 24 May 2017
Ronald Dahl is very popular with children, because of his sense of the absurd, and his ability to poke fun at conventional thinking. I think this is likely to be popular with the under tens.
on 16 April 2017
An excellent tool when teaching. The children love to choose a rhyme for me to read to the class! I can always guarantee a laugh with this book. I would definitely recommend.
on 2 April 2017
Bought this for my daughter as I loved this book myself as a child. Delightfully nasty twists on some of the classics. Although too young just yet to appreciate I am going to enjoy sharing this wonderful book with my daughter when she is older.
on 23 May 2017
Good alternative to well known stories for children in ks2, will have everyone laughing.
on 27 April 2017
Funny and perfect for my daughter to improve oral reading through rhyme.