on 12 April 2017
When I first read the book I tended to agree with the poor reviews saying it was a shadow of former brilliance etc. Having re-read it recently I have completely changed my mind. Ok it's not quite as good as Going Postal and Making Money but the were brilliant. Thud and 5th Elephant are not as good as Night Watch and Guards Guards (imo) but they are still very, very good. On the second read having forgot what people said about it I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. The character development of Harry King and even more so the Goblins were excellent. I will admit Moist and Vetinari were occasionally a little out of character, a little less rounded than usual. However this can be over looked because the plot and humour is still there it's bursting with fun and adventure. If like me you are a TP fan and have not read this because of other reviews give it a go. Forget what's been said and try not to compare. Read it and enjoy it for what it is. Sadly there will never be another.
on 10 April 2017
As with all Pratchett novels well developed and interesting characters (some drawn loosely from 'real' history) combines with a convoluted plot and his wry wit to keep the reader entertained from start to finish. It is a book that you will be reluctant to put down and sad to finish - not least as it is one of his last. The many fans of Sir Terry will miss him terribly.
on 11 April 2017
Another great story of derring-do written in Pratchet's inimitable style – stuffed with ideas and insights while entertaining and amusing . This ticks so many boxes.
on 15 July 2015
Ok, so not my favourite of his, but Sir Terry lives on through his work, and my goodness what a wonderful thing it is to escape to his world for a bit. I only wish I could "unread" all of his Discworld novels just to have the pleasure of reading them for the first time again... Something extremely special has left this world, but there are tiny sparks left behind, and whenever we visit Discworld even the most sceptical could believe in a life beyond death...
on 26 October 2015
classic Pratchett. more of the same in the evolving Discworld, whilst not as strong as some of the series, or laugh out loud in an embarrassing way on public transport as some of them have been...still a decent read.
on 1 January 2017
An engaging read in Terry's own amusing style. Such a shame he is not still with us . Here and there, there is mention of characters from his Discworld books as if he is saying goodbye to all his characters. Goodbye Terry you will be missed.
on 26 April 2017
Not one of his best but still a good read. The age of steam arrives on discworld
on 30 April 2017
What a rollercoaster ride full of pratchett twists n turns Excellent humour amazing mysterious twists that shock. Don't hesitate to buy. Excellent read.
on 23 May 2017
Brought this for my Brother who's a massive Terry Pratchett fan. He loved it.
on 18 August 2015
Sadly not Terry Pratchett's best Discworld novel, but still well worth reading. We get to see a lot of our favourite characters for one last time. RIP Sir Terry.