Format: Hardcover|Change

on 11 November 2014
I was in Borneo on a trip and we followed the death march by transport in a small bus all the way up to Sandakan where there was a museum dedicated to the handful of men who survived. I was lucky to be on the bus and even at that I was dehydrated and could only imagine what it must have been like for our soldiers. We must never forget their sacrifice.
on 6 November 2015
For a former library book this was in excellent condition ,I would have no hesitation ordering from this source in the future.
The subject of the book makes harrowing reading,however having been to Borneo,seeing the Memorials and museum peeked my interest to know more.The story is little known except for the few British soldiers involved,rather more pertinent to the Australian armed forces during WW2.
Definitely not bedtime reading.
on 23 October 2013
This powerful and exceptional book reminds us all of the hidden elements of a dreadful war.
Those of us who had family members caught up in it can only shudder at their courage in the face of such horror and cruelty.
It is not enjoyable but it is essential reading. I recommend it.
on 23 August 2015
An extraordinary and horrific account of the Borneo death marches. With only 6 survivors from over 2500 Australian and British servicemen, the fact that such a detailed and well written account can be written at all is testament to Paul Ham's meticulous research. A must read.
on 29 September 2013
Harrowing book. Not a light bedtime read but I wanted to buy it because I have seen the graves of these tragic men and know the places and conditions they were living in, and the routes they walked. It is an amazing story of man's bravery, stoicism under terrible torture and the terrible cruelty men can inflict on their fellow men.
on 8 November 2013
A compelling read, you find yourself wincing at the atrocities and somehow disbelieving the cruelty of the Japanese soldiers. As ever with a kindle version there are unfortunately no photographic images.
on 26 September 2013
How tough were these men! Nothing should ever be allowed to drift form our memory of these dreadful times.
One of the best books I have ever read, well written and full of information
on 14 September 2013
Ideal for anyone interested in the history of world war two and the fall of singapore and pow camps and conditions
on 4 September 2014
An eye opener on horror,despite all the other horrors perpetrated during the second world war.
on 22 July 2015
Another history book I really enjoyed