on 6 December 2017
This is a masterful evocation of coming of age. As the anxieties and observations of Byron, a young boy, are expertly laid bare, the mysteries surrounding his mother deepen. Byron and his friend James embark on an operation to unravel things, only to find that other mysteries turn up.
‘Perfect’ has the unmistakeable funny and moving narrative voice of Rachel Joyce. Featuring mystery, misunderstanding, guilt, jealousy and the triumph of kindness, it is more than the sum of its parts. Starting in the 1970s and spanning several decades, it is also a sympathetic look at class division and social change and the vulnerability of those caught between two social classes. With observations so astute and clear-cut that they fit into place like pieces of a jigsaw, it is difficult to pin down exactly what will make you smile and what will bring a lump to your throat in this wonderfully gripping book. You simply have to read it. And when you do, you won’t be able to stop.
on 18 March 2017
A lovely, lovely book and a story which is enjoyable and moving. I did work out the ending but still it had me in tears when I read it on a beach on holiday. Not really tears of sadness but tears of emotion. I love all Rachel Joyce books, along with Bill Bryson, she is my favourite author so I would highly recommend any of her books to anyone who hasn't read them. And I am eagerly awaiting her new book to be published!
on 2 June 2015
I chose this book after reading the authors others books The Pilgrimage of Harold Fry and Queenie Hennesey...all beautifully written. I am finding the authors book never disappoint. I will look forward to choosing another book by Racheal Joyce....
on 15 August 2017
I picked this up as a 'light read' for my holiday and really enjoyed it - but the story went deeper than I expected and I found the characters very believable and haunting.
on 30 September 2017
This is one of those rare gems you pick up and can't put down. It's beautifully paced and immerses you right in the heart of the story. Almost to the point you're part of it.

This is definitely worthy of 5 stars.
on 28 September 2017
Interesting story.
on 16 May 2017
Great
on 11 April 2016
Book club read, a bit odd but worth a go
on 8 July 2017
Brilliant service, book even better than described
on 13 June 2017
I recommend this book for people who like a good story, emotionally charged and very sensitively written. Beautiful touching and caring