Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 January 2015
Easily read, and so, to a limited extent, the book was fairly enjoyable. However, at best the plot was somewhat far-fetched and at worst contrived, with several stereotypical characters who simply did not fully convince. Surprisingly, given the author's former career within Swiss banking, this secretive financial industry's inner workings were painted using only broad, impressionistic brush strokes. A more detailed approach might have helped make the story more believable. Not the author's best work.
on 27 July 1999
Christopher Reich has proven himself with his first book. He has produced an excellent story with a great plot which takes place in the old Swiss Banking Community. I can't wait to see what else this guy has in store for us.
on 9 April 1999
I saw this book in American airports around Christmas and finally broke down and bought a copy. Usually, I'm wary about debut novels, especially ones with a good deal of hype attached to them. Not to worry. "Numbered Account" was excellent. I couldn't wait to get home at night and crawl into bed so I could get through another chunk. I'm waiting for the next one by this author.
on 5 October 2015
I enjoyed this book. The story was complex and engaging and it had a good pace. It was interesting to read about aspects of the finance industry. Some of it went a little over my head (some historical/political references - not my forte) and it probably could have been shorter but I would read more by this author.
on 21 October 2003
This is not the best book I have ever read but it is enjoyable nonetheless. No doubt the author has an intricate knowledge of the financial world however he did not pass this onto the book in a scale I expected he would. Hence I felt the "financial" element within the book is a bit thin.
I prefer Jonathan Blacks. Having said that, I would recommend it for light reading.
on 30 May 2012
This book has its fair share of wooden, cut-out, stereotypical characters that dragged on for far too long and became monotonous: why are arab "terrorists"(is there any other kind?!) described as mad, rabid, fundamentalists? Maybe he was watching Fox News or CNN at the time and became inspired...who knows? C Reich uses a string load of words where one would suffice and gives no depth to the narrative or situation.
on 10 January 2007
Pascha. You want to be him. You hate him. You love him.

I believe Reich worked for the same "company" that I have worked for and thus enjoyed some of the finer details in the book. Working in Zurich for many years and having travelled through Switzerland, I say I enjoy those aspects of the book too - with family in Ticino where the later aspects of the book occur, it's nice to "see" those locations too (and the hotel in which my wedding reception took place features - wow, fame at last!).

Anyway - the book is a good read. I've read it 3 times now, with time between each read to actually lose some of the story - which is good when reading it again. Each time I've been able to visualise more and more accurately the locations and events.

So, to Christoph from BXM - thank you ;-)
on 26 February 1999
Read this one while on vacation in the States. I really loved it. Now I know why everyone's so mad at the dreadful Swissies. If you do anything in finance, I imagine you won't be able to put it down. I'll put it on my shelf with the best of Forsyth and Follett. Am waiting for the next from Reich.
on 14 September 2001
A wonderfully, stunning thriller, written with what appears to be a very good knowledge and understanding of the banking and under worlds
on 25 April 1999
I purchased this book last Tuesday. When I began to read it I wasn't too sure if I would enjoy it. I now find I can't wait to find out who did the murder of Alex's father. I often imagine what I read relates to events that have happened & quite easily picture Sadam as Ali. Also if something like this is what happened when Nick Leeson bankrupted Barings bank? I almost wish I had become a banker. I didn't realise what went on behind the counter. I look forward to a sequel!