Customer reviews

Pakistan: A Personal History
Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 July 2013
This book cropped up as an amazon suggestion because i'd been reading biographies and autobiographies. instead of clicking the kindle sample as intended, i purchased the book accidentally. I'd no idea who this person is other than something to do with cricket. I know absolutely nothing about cricket, and Pakistan is so much in the news i wasn't keen to hear about it from a sportsman. Once I got into the book, however, tears kept pouring down my face. Here was a truthful and searching account of an idealist who tried against all odds to makes things better for everyone, who walked the walk and didn't just talk . His political analysis, the accounts of his achievements and setbacks were convincing but what most of the reviewers seem to have missed was that central to his story was the unfolding of a spiritual journey - a gradual discovery of the mystery of a hidden hand in mundane matters, how obstacles call forth hidden strength to become preparations for the next part of the journey. The author is scrupulously honest in recounting the constant reality checks, how life kept throwing up challenges so there is no place for fake humility ( which some of the other reviewers would have preferred) and it is a fine line between self regard and a refusal to allow self doubt to undermine what he'd set out to achieve. The story he told is an archetypal one, with as much relevance for those who seek changes in the Americas as it does for those in East Asia, Europe and Africa. We face unprecedented changes in the world and an urgent need for change. This book is a testimony to how dreams, right will and hard work are the seed for a better future, and the author by sharing his experience, isn't, I believe, just trying to win votes. His story reminds us as very few books do these days, the time honored and old fashioned truths about how we can go about making a difference and why in those efforts, we are never alone.
2 people found this helpful
on 24 July 2017
Imran Khan is a winner with a cricket career of David v Goliath successes so one shouldn’t expect modesty from such a pedigree and aspiring politician. This book is a great insight into the contemporary politics of one of the world’s real flashpoints, a beautiful country with an amazing history somehow brought to the verge of extinction. Khan’s anecdotes are valuable and often humorous with a fascinating East/West perspective. As much as anything this is a motivational book about drive, ambition and achievement with my only criticism being that Khan’s birth privalage perhaps does not fully recognise the extent of Pakistan’s non-meritocratic inequality.Personally I would like a bit more passion about this and gender rights but clearly the world needs this man to lead this troubled nascent state.The incident describing when this Oxbridge London socialite in his late 30's is introduced to an arranged partner to appease his traditional father perhaps best exemplifies the contemporary culture clash crossroads of Pakistan.
on 23 February 2013
This is a highly readable account of Pakistan's history by a formidable personality. Imran bares his soul whilst recounting the history of Pakistan in light of his own experience. Therefore it makes this book doubly interesting, and truly enlightening, preventing reader fatigue. Imran Khan is fearless in his condemnation of senior politicians and the corruption that has dogged Pakistan since its birth. Past Presidents and Prime Ministers of Pakistan are named and thoroughly shamed. Normally one would want to read what the others have to say, but Imran's assertions seem to be so from the heart that his words are believable. I do feel this is a must-read paperback for all types of Western audience, including those who are not particularly interested in Pakistan, as the book does open people to understand the problems that people in Muslim lands struggle with in their day to day lives. Then of course there is an insight in the book to Imran's early life, his cricketing career, his marriage and above all, his spiritual quest. Thankfully not just about politics and dates! The offering differs from heavy academic discourse that we have become so accustomed to, which plays with Islamism, 9/11 and so forth. This book, I feel, is a great reminder, as it furnishes the reader with reality: that colonial thinking is ever present in modern Muslim and third world societies, even today. Basically the story is simply told and while the writing style may at times seem repetitive, it all links together and the book works. One may philosophize a different solution to the problem of Pakistan (other than Imran's prescription), yet the book remains an outstanding contribution and should be read much more widely. A thoroughly useful piece of writing, well done Imran Khan.
on 18 August 2012
I started reading this book on my plane journey to the USA. I am not an avid reader and I soon put a book down after only a few pages but I was glued to this one. I have never seen Pakistan but my ancestors are from Pakistan. Perhaps this affinity also increased my desire to know what has been happening to my parents country. Imran supplied a lot of answers in a concise, interesting and logical manner. Imran seems to be someone dedicated to social purpose altruistically and Pakistanis all over the world are pinning for a leader like Imran. May he be victorious and improve the well being of all Pakistanis with as he says islamic principals of welfare and equality. He is also a leader who can win the west over for the betterment of his nation.
4 people found this helpful
on 4 August 2017
One of the best autobiographies I've ever read! I was glued to this book. Imran Khan provides honest insights into his own life, the key ingredients in his success both on and off the field, his struggles in humanitarian work and motivations for pursuing a challenging journey in politics. The book also gives a historical background of a nation that is not known or misunderstood by many outside the country. Very engaging and well written. Highly recommend this book.
on 20 July 2013
In this book Imran eloquently talks of his evolution in life from humble beginnings in Pakistan to prestigious institutes in England as well as his time as a Cricketer, then Philanthropist to present-day Politician. The three characteristics that sum up Imran for me are selflessness, iron will and vision. All three are needed in a genuine leader. I have no doubt that he will succeed in becoming Prime Minister of Pakistan one day, and take his place alongside Mandela and Jinnah as one of the finest leaders of the last 150 years.
One person found this helpful
on 5 June 2016
I've only started getting into reading age 21. This is the first book I have chosen to read as I sincerely respect Imran Khan and find him to be a role model. I have only read the Prologue, but I can sense that it's going to be a good read.
I bought the paper back which is good for travelling and reading on the train for example. However I'd definitely recommend purchasing the hardback cover if you are likely to read it at home or in your office.
on 12 February 2017
Bought this for my husband to read on holiday he is enthralled with it and it has given him a new insight into the Pakistan political history.
on 19 November 2012
A great book with the honest accounts of his life ......He will Good willing succeed in his mission ....
One important fact about his life ...he is fighting for a cause for more than 15 years and nothing deter him ....This single quality made him a great leader, although he has a lot other.....

He has some flaws as well ...but hay guys who doesn't ... he is human
on 16 May 2013
I loved the book. It gives a lot of information on Pakistan and how Sectarianism exists and the different cultures within the country and the history behind the making of Pakistan.

Also, about Imraan Khan's personal life and his struggles and entrance to politics.
One person found this helpful