Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's

Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 February 2012
Went through the book cover to cover in five sittings despite having young boys.When i first started reading it, i thought it will just be about his life and views. It is thousand years of history relevant to Imran's life and views packed in a few pages and talks of the future as well.

At the end of the book i felt enlightened and hopeful of the new Dawn that is beckoning Imran and Pakistan.

I personally feel Pakistan's existensial crisis has Imran as the only answer. Like in cricket he will inspire
many a generation to come in politics. A legend in his own right and my Hero.

Masood (Manchester, UK)
on 4 October 2011
Excellent book. essential and exciting reading for anyone interested in Pakistan.Firstly, it tells the story of Imran's life, and his personal development influenced by religion. this part of the book has a style reminiscent of Gandhi's autobiography, and is simple and straightforward. it shows Imran as honest, sincere, courageous and idealistic, compassionate about the hard life of poor Pakistanis, and determined to make a total effort to bring Pakistan back from the brink. he discards practical politics and sees things as right versus wrong.
he inspires, and wins respect. secondly the book is a good and accurate account of recent Pakistani political history, and the issues and problems that urgently need to be addressed today. thirdly the book describes Islam's role in history, and the qualities of tolerance, justice, values and education that made Islam the leading civilization for a thousand years. Forthly, it is a political manifesto which sets out Imran's objectives and struggle.
the book will certainly convince many readers that Imran is Pakistan's only hope. after reading this book, people will stop asking 'Can he win?' and instead ask, 'Can Pakistan survive if he doesn't win?'
on 2 December 2011
Although not a fan of cricket myself, I was very excited when I heard that Khan was writing this book as he is now a well known political figure in Pakistan. The history of Pakistan is superbly presented. Dates, figures, and facts are here in abundance and these factors contribute to making the book highly informative. Khan makes the big political and social issues easy to understand for all, and his passion and patriotism is attested to on every page.

There are 2 reasons why I have not given this book 5 stars. Firstly, Khan comes across as extremely vain at times. Anyone would think there was no other famous cricketer in the the world! He also portrays himself as something of a saviour to Pakistan, the only hope the country has for the future. Conceited? I think so.

Secondly, I felt that there were too many in drawn out explanations for his theological beliefs. Whilst this is a partial biography and his religious views are to be respected, I felt that he came across as slightly overbearing and 'preaching' at times.

These 2 points aside, a very good read.
on 18 August 2012
I started reading this book on my plane journey to the USA. I am not an avid reader and I soon put a book down after only a few pages but I was glued to this one. I have never seen Pakistan but my ancestors are from Pakistan. Perhaps this affinity also increased my desire to know what has been happening to my parents country. Imran supplied a lot of answers in a concise, interesting and logical manner. Imran seems to be someone dedicated to social purpose altruistically and Pakistanis all over the world are pinning for a leader like Imran. May he be victorious and improve the well being of all Pakistanis with as he says islamic principals of welfare and equality. He is also a leader who can win the west over for the betterment of his nation.
on 25 November 2011
Nice book well put together,I don't normally read but this book draws you in from the first few pages, the first few pages contain information about his experience in jail etc. This book also provides you with sufficient amount of Pakistan's history and as being a 16 year old reading this book I was very fascinated on how military rule has destroyed the country. This book is ideal for people who want to not just read about Pakistan's history but also its current political climate and Pakistan's current state. The best thing I liked about this book was that he mentioned a lot on the tribal areas of Pakistan, explaining there history and culture in great detail.

I would definitely recommend this book to people who want to read about Pakistan's history as well as Imran Khans struggle and success.
on 25 September 2011
An excellent timely book which I couldnt put down from start to finish. A honest account of his life. I have read Imrans previous book which was more about his life but I was lost about half way through to be honest.
This book is a good insight into the realities and problems of the so called "War on Terror" and a great insight into the reality of Pakistani Politics given that Imran himself who set up his own Political Party ran in the elections and was imprisoned an number of times. It is clear that Imran is a much needed inspirational hero for the Pakistani masses who have been ravaged by corrupt Politicians and Generals. This man is a warrior, if only all the young in Pakistan could read this book and demand change for a better and brighter future. Unfortunately most of them cant read and it is only a man with the energy of Imran that can save the Pakistani People from the Politicians, the Army and Americas designs on the region.
on 6 December 2011
what a superb book, couldn't put it down. would recommend it to anyone who wants to understand the history of pakistan, why it is the way it is today, and why imran khan is the only solution.
on 10 December 2011
The book gives us an opportunity to look behind Imran's thinking. His ideal is to deal with the issues facing the common man in the street. His belief that this life should be spent for the good of others rather than one's own self is at the heart of explaining his journey in this book. He explains in detail his journey from a cricketer to what he is today. He admits his mistakes, faults and explains his thought process when he encounters the problems of a common man in the street. He reflects on these issues by referring back to the Koran and also to Iqbal. Iqbal took his inspiration from the Koran when he put forward the concept of human 'self'. People who are reading this book should keep this aspect in mind i.e. what motivates a man to change from a self centerd cricketer to a 'selfless' human being who is willing to share his earning and potentials with others. This is where the human 'self' displays its hidden qualities and those who 'taste' it will never leave it. This is where the Koran states -'those who spend their wealth on others will prosper'. Human self is above the meta cognition level and this is where the permanent values come into play. The 'self' takes responsibility for its actions and then shares its potentials including material wealth with other equal human beings. Equality as a human being is at the heart of self's development. For example the day a child is born it is equal to any other child in the world irrespective of what it inherits. So equality means that when I help others, I in fact help myself at a human level - Tolstoy discussed in detail in his later writings. So our accountability is inbuilt within us i.e. when I do wrong to others, I do wrong to myself. The book will make sense to those who wish to find answers to the higher purpose of our lives in this world. Why should Imran do it and why not all of us? When I eat food and exercise, my physical self develops; however, when I help others my 'true self' develops. How do I know if my true self is developing? It is through the development of our thought process and acting within the permanent values that we develop. This is a path of guidance which only those who tread can experience the pleasures and this is the path which 'self' takes beyond its physical 'death'. The book has explained it through an example - however more detailed explanation one can find it in the Koran. Those who wish to read more on these issues in the light of the Koran should go to
on 16 November 2011
This book, an intelligently written mix of Pakistan's history and Imran Khan own autobiography, reflects on the challenges that Khan faced in cricket and later, in his humanitarian work. The lessons learnt in his previous incarnations gave momentum to his entry into politics.

Tahreek-e-Insaf (Movement for Justice), the party he founded in 1996, has faced many humbling moments - winning no seats in the 1997 elections and one in 2002 - although it is now seen as a credible alternative to the government by many Pakistanis.
on 19 July 2013
This book cropped up as an amazon suggestion because i'd been reading biographies and autobiographies. instead of clicking the kindle sample as intended, i purchased the book accidentally. I'd no idea who this person is other than something to do with cricket. I know absolutely nothing about cricket, and Pakistan is so much in the news i wasn't keen to hear about it from a sportsman. Once I got into the book, however, tears kept pouring down my face. Here was a truthful and searching account of an idealist who tried against all odds to makes things better for everyone, who walked the walk and didn't just talk . His political analysis, the accounts of his achievements and setbacks were convincing but what most of the reviewers seem to have missed was that central to his story was the unfolding of a spiritual journey - a gradual discovery of the mystery of a hidden hand in mundane matters, how obstacles call forth hidden strength to become preparations for the next part of the journey. The author is scrupulously honest in recounting the constant reality checks, how life kept throwing up challenges so there is no place for fake humility ( which some of the other reviewers would have preferred) and it is a fine line between self regard and a refusal to allow self doubt to undermine what he'd set out to achieve. The story he told is an archetypal one, with as much relevance for those who seek changes in the Americas as it does for those in East Asia, Europe and Africa. We face unprecedented changes in the world and an urgent need for change. This book is a testimony to how dreams, right will and hard work are the seed for a better future, and the author by sharing his experience, isn't, I believe, just trying to win votes. His story reminds us as very few books do these days, the time honored and old fashioned truths about how we can go about making a difference and why in those efforts, we are never alone.