on 2 December 2012
This is the third book I have read by Alex Connor and although the first two were great, this book is brilliant! The start is a little bit gruesome, but once you put that aside the story unfolds into an amazing mix of historical facts and fictional intrigue. It is obvious that Ms Connor has done her research, as with her previous two works. Every so often I would be so interested in the background to this story that I would look up the life of Goya on the Internet, wanting to learn more.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who loves a great thriller which is cleverly written and not run of the mill. I hope there will be more of the same to follow.
on 27 November 2012
This is a thoroughly thrilling and intriguing story that follows brothers, Ben and Leon Golding, and others in the search for the skull of the famous Spanish artist Goya. There are other darker and deadlier characters who will stop at nothing, and will let no one else get in their way of getting their hands on the skull, once they have got wind of it being found. I thoroughly recommend this thoroughly unputdownable, page-turning thriller if you are a fan of any books by Jo Nesbo or Dan Brown - it is perfect for curling up with on a cold wintery day!
on 15 November 2012
It's another winner! Purchased with the intention of a weekend treat but I couldn't resist turning a couple of pages. Of course I had to stay up all night to finish it, needless to say I absolutely loved this book!

The atmosphere of the book is almost eerie in parts, the way the Author makes you feel so immersed in this is just one reason i was hooked from the very beginning.

All in all a fascinating history of Goya and Spain, coupled with an intricate contemporary thriller, moving between London, Madrid and New York. Very interesting to see illustrations used in a thriller, have to say it works extremely well, i can't recommend it highly enough!
on 20 January 2013
Memory of Bones by Alex Connor
Published by Quercus, 15 November 2012. ISBN: 978-0-85738-962-6

When Leon Golding comes into possession of the long lost skull of Spain's most famous artist Francisco Goya, he is ecstatic. Leon has devoted his life to solving the meaning of Goya `s black paintings. Now his patience will be rewarded and the art world will finally recognise the name of Leon Golding. His brother Ben, a reconstructive plastic surgeon at the Whitechapel Hospital in London, worries that maybe Ben is heading for another breakdown or not taking his medication.

Unfortunately, in his excitement at getting the skull authenticated, the news has leaked out, and alerted some very rich and powerful collectors who will stop at nothing- not even murder, to own this most prized piece of art history.

Alex Connor paints a grim picture of the ruthlessness of collectors in the art world. Recognised as a money spinner even those who can't afford it jostle to become a middle man for they foresee big commissions for the one in a negotiating position. But for their trouble death awaits. For a skull that has been missing for nearly two centuries it certainly has some adventures as the Golding brothers try to keep it out of reach of obsessed collectors and the head of the powerful Ortega family.

With well-fleshed out characters, Alex Connor weaves a gripping tale of greed, deception and murder. Culminating in a marvelously satisfying twist, this book is highly recommended.
Reviewer: Lizzie Hayes
There are two earlier books The Rembrandt Secret and A Legacy of Death
on 19 January 2015
Alex Connor's art world thrillers are classic historical conspiracy murder mysteries, with international settings, colorful characters, fast-paced action, and marvelous writing. I've read several of her books and THE GOYA ENIGMA is my new favorite! Her writing reminds me of a mixture of Ludlum and Dan Brown, except that she is a superior writer. Her prose is vivid and lush, describing emotions and human thought processes powerfully and efficiently. Moreover, as an art historian Ms. Connor really knows her stuff when it comes to famous historical artists and their works, connecting actual mysteries and scandals of their lives and paintings to modern day crime stories set in the unscrupulous world of art dealers and collectors. Another fantastic novel from Ms. Connor - Bravo!!
on 16 November 2012
I really enjoyed the last two of Alex Connor's books so I was excited when Memory of bones arrived. I was not disappointed - it is a fantastic read. So beautifully researched and keeps you guessing right to the end. As is always the case with Connor's thrillers you learn such a lot along the way. I have always been interested in Goya and learnt a great deal that I did not already know. I was also so impressed by the illustrations that were done by the author - what a very talented person. I have bought some more copies to give as my favourite Chrtistmas present. Congratulations on a number one boo.
on 18 December 2012
This novel intrigued me as the subject matter, Goya, is one I've never come across before. The story was fast paced and a little incredible in places but it flowed. I felt compelled to keep reading.
on 15 November 2012
After reading Alex's last two books, I was expecting great things again. Let me just say the book did not disappoint. If you've read either of her other two thriller books (and if you haven't you've got a bit of reading to do), then this is a no brainer because it's just as good. If you're looking for a solid thriller series to get your teeth into, then this book, as well as her previous two, should be top contenders.
on 15 November 2012
I had bought this for my Mum but couldn`t resist it, sorry Mum looks like you`ll have to buy your own!

On a serious note this is a brilliant book, one I would recommend to anyone who enjoys first class crime thrillers. In short the perfect stocking filler, a real bargain too!
on 1 November 2013
I had this book on my Kindle for a while and hadn't got round to reading it. Being stuck on the rush hour train from Manchester I delved into my phone to see what I could read and came across Unearthing the Bones. I was immediately drawn in and after finishing this short story (& taster for the main event)I launched straight into Memory of Bones. A great read. The Goya angle was fascinating and, like other reviewers, I felt compelled to read up on Goya from other sources. Alex Connor obviously knows her stuff and it certainly doesn't feel like somebody has done some quick research for a book. You feel that the author is also immersed in art and its mysteries. Having reviewed Alex Connor before I mentioned the freshness of the Art World as a backdrop for the genre and I continue to enjoy the writing and setting. An interesting journey between Madrid, London and New York and the enigma of Goya and the Black Paintings. I had to suspend belief at one point when I felt frustration at Ben not involving the police when his character to that point suggested he should. However his actions better served the plot and suspense and for that I can forgive this.

One point I'd like to make (and I've made this before on other reviews) is that I noticed errors in the print of the Kindle version. Are these not properly proof read? Just a minor annoyance and not to take anything away from the great writing by Alex Connor. I'll be reading more of these.