Format: Hardcover|Change

on 27 March 2015
Read all the previous books in this series. Am totally addicted to this series. So much so that I got the kindle version of the newest book. Just love the combination of detective, history, lifelike characters and a bit of "magic". The turns and plot are always a surprise and keep you in suspence untill the last pages.
on 18 August 2015
I can't praise the Ruth Galloway series highly enough. They have got better with each one and we have come to know and love the regular characters. They are normal people, not perfect, but with some flaws which we all have. I have especially loved the introduction of Kate, who is now 3. She is adorable, but by no means an angel (we can all identify with that)! Ruth, as a single mother, has to juggle work and childcare and often feels guilty. Cathbad, the druid, is a wonderful character who at first I thought was not going to be in this novel, but thankfully he enters the story, which is very interesting. I love how Kate greets everyone with "Piss" (supposed to be "Peace" as taught her by Cathbad!) Then, of course, there is Nelson, who is the father of Kate but is married. I said they weren't perfect! The story weaves around the characters and I am as interested in them as the story. You need to start with the first in this series and progress through the books to really understand what is going on, but I love the mystery combined with humour and can't wait to read the next in the series.
on 16 December 2015
Norfolk sounds so bleak in these books and that probably helps with the characters. Enjoyed the content about filming a TV programme and how that affects different people. There are a couple of child abductions plus an unexplained death which flow throughout the book. As one child belongs to a friend of Ruth's it hits home more now that her daughter is nearly three years old. Interesting and keeps you involved until the end which might not prove to be such a shock to followers of the genre.
on 23 May 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed this latest book from my favourite author, Elly Griffiths. Her characters – Nelson, Ruth, Cathbad, Shona, Judy, Clough and Michelle (not to mention the children) are so well rounded, they all feel real. We are on book 6 of their journey and it is just so interesting to see where she will go with them next. This story ran around the themes of motherhood, working mothers versus stay at home mothers, single mothers, mothers whose children are not their husbands and mothers who kill or steal others babies. As usual past and present intertwined and we learned more fascinating facts about forensic archaeology. I can’t wait for the next one to come out.
on 20 February 2014
I stumbled on the Ruth Galloway sertes by accident and am very, very glad I did. The novels gave me such intense enjoyment that I am currently reading them all for the second time - with undiminished pleasure. The characters are well drawn and totally individual - Ruth herself and Cathbad being my favourites. Well-structured plots keep the reader intrigued and the Norfolk setting, particularly the Saltmarsh itself, is vivid and an excellent backdrop.
on 25 September 2015
I was a bit confused by this book. Having read all the previous Ruth Galloway stories and her character being essential to helping solve the crime in each story. This book differs, Ruth's character is not involved in the crime solving in her archaeologist capacity. In fact it did make me wonder why she was involved in this story at all. Ruth's role in this book is to take part in the making of a tv programme. I just didn't feel this book was up to Elly Griffith's usual standard
This is the sixth book in the Ruth Galloway series which combines archaeology and modern crime in a compelling and fascinating way. Set in East Anglia, Ruth finds herself involved in the production of a television programme as part of a series “Women Who Kill” when she unearths a body which is possibly that of Mother Hook, a Victorian foster parent/childminder executed for killing children in her care. In the present day, DCI Harry Nelson, father of Ruth’s daughter Katie is investigating the deaths of 21st century children. There are obvious parallels between the stories which are centuries apart and the novel works well in its entirety. The usual cast of characters which readers of the earlier novels will recognise are here, including the enigmatic Cathbod who adds a mystical dimension to proceedings, and fans of the series will not be disappointed. Norfolk, both the city itself, and the wild coastal area where Ruth lives are described in an evocative way, and this sense of place is a key part of the success of this series. This book does work well as a stand-alone novel as enough background is included although I’d advise new readers to begin with the first book “Crossing Places” and work through the series in order since this will enable them to make most sense of the relationships between the characters. If you enjoy police procedurals with a slightly quirky feel, then this is defintely worth reading. I loved the blend of past and present, new and old wrongs, and am looking forward already to Elly Griffiths’s next book.
This review is of an ARC from the publisher.
on 5 March 2015
Ive read the others before this in the series and like this just as much as the others. I like the style and way Elly writes and I am always gripped by the story. The last half is when the action really starts and especially in the last quarter of the book - this part always has me gripped and not wanting to put the book down. The storyline did have me slightly upset at times due to the nature of the story i.e. kidnapped children etc. but this could be bcause I have a child the same age as one of the kidnapped children - I found myself skipping forward some chapters to check what happened to the child before I carried on reading.
on 24 June 2014
I really enjoy this series, and was very grateful that Elly Griffiths refrained from putting Ruth in the direct line of danger this time as this was getting over-worked. What is interesting is having a character closely involved but outside the professional circle of the police and therefore able to react as another fellow human being but with inside knowledge. The characters are complex and interesting, the plots woven into historical interest and I love the setting. I do think the books repeat the motif of the idiotic senior administrator too much. Just because someone gets to the top of an organisation doesn't automatically make them a publicity seeking hypocrite and constantly portraying such characters in this way falls short of the rest of the characterisation that does so well in challenging stereotypes. I must admit, I prefer the stories where Ruth Galloway's expertise is called upon as a direct part of the case but clearly it would stretch credibility if this happened too often. Perhaps she could be called upon again by another force?
on 2 February 2014
Just the right amount of "Time team" type references and archeology to keep us closet diggers interested and also the crime side to keep us "agatha" lovers reading!! Just love the characters keep writing Elly I love your books.