1,917
Format: Paperback|Change

HALL OF FAMETOP 10 REVIEWERon 12 January 2017
The Lewis Trilogy by Peter May

I came across this trilogy quite by accident - but I am glad I did! I had finished the excellent ‘Shetland’ series by Ann Cleeves and was looking round for something similar when a friend recommended these books. As soon as I’d read the first one, I was hooked – and wanted to go and visit Lewis as much as I had wanted to visit Shetland! The books give an insight into island life and how it has changed over the years with frequent flash backs to the past life of our central character Fin Macleod.

This is the second book in the series – the Lewis Man. Fin Macleod has left the police and returned to live in his native Lewis – in a tent while he rebuilds his parent’s abandoned home. An old body is found in a local peat bog and Fin ends up helping a local policeman he has befriended to investigate. DNA testing reveals the body to be someone related to a local farmer Tormod Macdonald. But, Tormod has no known family and by now suffers from dementia.

This is a rich and complex tale as we continue the flashbacks to Fin’s childhood and his sweetheart Marsaili. Will their relationship rekindle? It’s a real mystery and fascinating.

Like the first in the series, this book is really worth the read and again, I couldn’t put it down. Now for ‘The Chessmen’ – the last in the series – I can’t wait…….
on 5 April 2017
Another triumph. The story of Fin Mcleod continues as he returns to his roots in Lewis and in reconciling with his past finds he is not the only one to have dangerous secrets. The islands are evocatively depicted as is the story of an elderly man with Alzheimer's. His past is woven into the present and old injustices are revealed and retribution comes to blight the present. The lives of these people are so brilliantly drawn you suffer with them. Mr May is a writer to follow from the sun filled stories in France to those in rainy Scotland. A total pleasure. Thrilling, poignant, full of love for the people he brings to life. Roll on the next one. I am addicted.
on 14 April 2017
Poor Fin! He just cannot escape the drama of his past. No longer a policeman, and still unable to let go of the loss of his own child, he is dragged into the case of the unidentified corpse which is linked to Marjory’s sick father. The inter-personal relationships of the islanders and Fin’s own past are interlinked with the present in a well-written sequel to The Blackhouse and definitely worth a read. I await the drama and shocking revelations of the last in the trilogy with bated breath.
This sequel to The Blackhouse matches and even surpasses the previous book for emotional punch, tautness of story and the eruption of the past into the present.

Fin has returned to Lewis nine months after the dramatic events that concluded that story, and intends to repair his parents' ruined house. Before has can get started, the murdered body of a young man is discovered preserved in the peat, and turns out to be related to his long ago girlfriend's, Marsaili's, father. Fearing that the old man - now suffering from advanced dementia - will be suspected of the killing, Fin sets out to discover who the victim was - who Tormod really is. t the same time, Fin is still struggling to come to terms with his own loss and to mend his relationship with Marsaili. As he digs into her family background to try to resolve the situation, Fin is no further on in dealing with the loss of his son - either coming to terms with it or finding who was responsible. I can't help feeling that must come in the third and final book.

Told, like The Blackhouse, in interspersed chapters set in the present and the past, The Lewis man allows Tormod to tell his own story as an interior monologue, slowly revealing the almost unbearable story of his past - a story of repeated loss, icy treatment of the young and vulnerable and of a man who made a life and a family despite his past yet seems about to have it all taken from him by a cruel and relentless disease. Everything is resolved in the end - but in a way that had me gripping the book for dear life and turning the pages compulsively as the past and present met.

Excellent.
on 16 March 2017
The second book in this great trilogy & again a very good read. I really like the way Peter May manages to keep the story going whilst moving backwards & forwards between the present day & the past. He also makes the landscape of Lewis & its environment come to life with his wonderful descriptions...although it seems to be a bit too wet & windy for me to want to visit!. Looking forward to reading the third book...& then moving on to some of Mr May`s other books
on 24 May 2017
Another cracking mystery thriller from Peter May. An excellent plot and a range of characters you can actually care about.
Superb twists and turns in the plot, plenty of clues along the way, but still some big surprises in store.
Finished it this morning and have just ordered the third in the trilogy.
on 5 June 2017
Absolutely stunning book. I am ashamed to say that I bought the first book in the trilogy in 2012 and only just got round to reading it. I loved every minute of it and couldn't wait to start this one. Many times I bonked myself on the forehead with my Kindle desperately trying to stay awake and finish another chapter! It was worth every bruise! As soon as I finished it, I bought the third one. I feel as if I know the area and it made me google local images out of curiosity. Highly recommend. Brilliant writer. Read them all. x
on 11 April 2013
Having enjoyed The Black House, I was eager to continue the series and this did not disappoint. I like Peter May's writing style; for me the descriptive prose and dual-story format are the skills that make this author stand out from other crime writers. Fin, the main character from the first novel, has left the police and returned to live on Lewis. This time the first person narrative is from the perspective of another character, Tormud. As before, the author runs both stories in parallel until the end where they blend together naturally to a conclusion. My only negative comment albeit a minor one, is that I thought the plotline towards the end of the story sacrificed a little credibility to achieve the ending. Otherwise, another enjoyable read. For some series, reading order is not particularly important but I think this trilogy needs to be read in the order the stories were written.
I've ordered the final part today.
on 1 April 2017
After reading the Black House I was keen to read the next in the series and Lewis Man didn't disappoint. If anything I preferred it to the first one. Once the story gets going it keeps you gripped with a few twists and surprises along the way.
on 13 May 2017
I am really enjoying the Trilogy so far. I love how the story unfolds & how it reads. It is better to read the books one after the other as you have the history along the way.