If you've enjoyed the stories of Matthew Hawkwood by James McGee then you may well want to give this title by Patrick Easter a go. Whilst the jacket text isn't exactly thrilling, the title within is definitely worth the time as our hero has a realistic feel, has come fully fledged from a former Met Water Police Officers imagination and the sailing terms whilst there are kept to a minimum so as not to confuse the reader.

Add to this a great arch villain for Tom Pascoe to battle against, a woman torn between our two principle protagonists and you know that it's a book that will go all out in a no holds barred battle of the law vs criminality. A great title all in and one that really did keep me entertained with its great prose, decent dialogue and outstanding characters. A real triumph from this authors fictional debut.
on 14 February 2013
The Waterman by Patrick Easter I normally take a week to read a book this book I read in 3 days
just could not wait to pick it up. A great novel of naval history,crime and passion can,t wait to recieve
the second Tom Pascoe.
on 13 February 2013
Overall, I think this was a good find !

I can't say that the plot is startlingly original, but I do say that it is well-written, informative, proof-read ( almost rare in this day and age !) and that I will certainly read any more offerings from Patrick Easter.

The characters are good enough ( although, I will admit they could be better rounded and developed ). Unlike some reviewers, I did care about them. The historical setting is evoked well enough to allow me to enjoy it and imagine the settings, although I think the river scenes are better than the land-based ones. I liked the scenes around the Lea, when he was investigating the 'off-Thames' storage.

I general, I think this is a good first effort. Many things can be improved, but many things are also good. The good and fluent writing makes up for minor shortcomings in the characterisation and plot as far as I am concerned.

I will say though, that I think Easter may need to place his 'genre-marker' more firmly for the next novel. Is this thriller, detective, action... it may help determine how his characters develop, and work together.

Enjoyable: a good read !!
on 2 December 2013
I was really looking forward to this as a reviewer here had posted that the protagonist, Tom Pascoe, had filled the gap left by Andrew Pepper's Pyke character. Sorry, but I cannot see any resemblance at all. Tom Pascoe is totally dull and completely one-dimensional - as are all the characters in this novel. Like another reviewer here, I too couldn't get over the ridiculous hospital setting where 20th century nurses seem to have stepped into the pages. Wasn't it Florence Nightingale, some 50 years later, who changed men's perceptions and managed to get females into nursing? The love interest story is akin to Mills & Boon (I read one recently just to see if they had improved, sadly no). Three-quarters of the way through and I actually gave up reading because I really could not care two hoots about what happened to anyone in this sorry saga. If anyone can recommend historical novels with well-rounded, three dimensional characters and heroes who have a touch of anti-hero about them, please post me a message here. I'm getting desperate for Andrew Pepper to write another novel.
on 13 July 2013
A real page turner..couldn't put this one down. Patrick Easter's style gets you right there onto those grimy streets of Napoleonic London. A must read for lovers of this period!
on 13 April 2012
This is a wonderful novel.I find it hard to belive that this is the authors first novel,it's written so well.I couldn't put it down and finished it the same day as it was delivered.If you love historical thrillers,this one is for you.
on 8 June 2013
An absorbing read, having read both of Patrick Easter's books in the series I cannot wait for the third. Excellent
on 18 June 2012
As I was born and brought up alongside the Thames at Wapping and write about the area myself, I was pre-proposed to like The Waterman and I'm glad to say I wasn't disappointed with Patrick Easter's debut novel.
Through no fault of his own our hero, Tom Pascoe finds himself striped of his captaincy of an East Indian Company merchant ship and forced to become a Surveyor in the newly constituted Thames Police based on the river in Wapping.
It is evident in every page of the book that Mr Easter not only knows the river very well but has researched the historical details meticulously. He nicely sets all the protagonists for what I hope will be an exciting series. I've already ear-marked The River of Fire as my September holiday read.
Jean.
Hold on to Hope
on 25 April 2012
I have only discovered the present-day Wapping in the last five years or so-----especially it's marvellous pubs!!!!!!!It was, therefore, a wonderful treat to literally 'stumble' across Patrick Easter's marvellous novel, 'The Waterman'. It is a 'rip-roaring' historical murder adventure that takes the reader back to the 18th century and the less 'respectable' days of Wapping and Shadwell as well as the establishment of the river police ( who are still based there).

I am already looking forward to reading Mr Easter's next novel, 'The River of Fire'.
on 31 May 2016
The story continues the plot is as readable as ever thoroughly enjoyed it.