on 22 December 2015
Perfect for someone - like me - who has always avoided plumbing jobs when doing DIY.

The book is extremely well illustrated, clearly laid out and everything is explained in simple terms. The book also takes the format of tackling various plumbing jobs and provides a step by step explanation (with photos) as to how to complete them. Example: How to install an outside garden tap starting from internal plumbing.

If you want to start learning basic plumbing then this is the book to buy. Highly recommended
on 29 May 2012
I confess to being useless at DIY. But this book has made me feel a lot less of a plonker when it comes to fiddling with my pipes. You can't help but get your hands dirty by following the simple steps contained within. But that's a small price to pay for the joy of release from paying a professional to handle the job for you. £15 doesn't buy a lot today, so spend it on this excellent guide to cleaning out your pipes and keeping everything flowing. From a truly satisfied customer.
on 22 May 2012
Bought this after becoming frustrated at spending large amounts of money on what turned out to be relatively simple plumbing jobs in the last couple of years. It's very easy to follow with helpful pictures of all the various jobs, and Blackwell's writing style is both informative and fun to read. I've already saved myself a few hundred quid by carrying out simple jobs myself, and I hope I won't be seeing my local plumber, pleasant though he is, for many years to come.

Great book and well worth 15 quid.
on 15 March 2013
I became a first time buyer in late 2011 and until a few months ago, I hadn't done a single bit of plumbing. Thanks to this book I now think of myself as a competent DIY plumber and I've been able to move radiators, fit new taps and last week I fitted an entire bathroom suite on my own.

The book is very detailed and the author excels at describing even challenging tasks in an informative and humorous manner. His writing style really eases you into the job and removes any apprehension experienced before tackling a job.

This book has paid for itself over and over again and I wouldn't be without it.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 19 December 2013
I got off to a good start with this manual which arrived in perfect condition, in just two days with the postage free "Super Saver Delivery".

I had purchased CENTRAL HEATING by Patrick Mitchell about two years ago, which is a great reference book to have at home or for students, there are plenty of illustrations and diagrams in it, but only a few photos. It mainly just covers central heating though.

My reason for purchasing this Manual is that it covers a wider array of plumbing work, including Identifying your water and heating systems, Tooling, Dealing with emergencies, Insulation, Pipework, Valve maintenance, Basic plumbing, plus In the garden, In the kitchen, In the bathroom, Central heating, and Going green. Each section is limited by the size of the book, but there is ample information and numerous photos and tips to cover most diy plumbing jobs in the home.

What it doesn't cover, is Oil boilers and Gas work, which as we all know should be carried out by a "Gas Safe registered" fitter.

I have, over the years done quite a bit of home plumbing from replacing a washer to installing a bathroom suite, and have always had a read up on what ever project I am doing beforehand. But I would say that this is possibly the best plumbing author that I have come across, and I find the many photos really helpful.

Recommended without reservation.
on 6 August 2014
Amazing book, well written with great humor. It features common problems and remedies with clear descriptions and pictures. It goes into enough technical detail without making the layman's eyes glaze over whilst refraining from 'dumbing it down' too much and being condescending. I would highly recommend this to anyone wishing to either learn more about plumbing or to those who want to be a 'have-a-go-plumber' in their own homes (before they call out a plumber to fix what they've broken)! 5 stars!!!
on 26 January 2016
Absolutely amazing book. I'm doing handyman stuff, and so far this helped me to solve every situation. Only downside is that there are no explanations attached to the photos, but once you get the hang of it you will understand everything. Lots of advises how to actually do things, not just "undo the nut". It gives you an idea how to grab that thing, and what's the next step when the easy way is not working.

Recommended!
on 9 April 2013
Not quite plumbing made simple, But it gives a reasonable idea for quite a lot of jobs you may come across, read in conjunction with internet post and a DIY manual you should be able to cope with most emergency situations.
VINE VOICEon 14 April 2013
The scope of the book is wide, covering all types of CH and HW, plus the fashionable nod to renewables.

So the depth isn't great on any one topic, but there's enough here to let you avoid and prepare for emergencies and do the basics of fitting new taps etc. and gauge if you can take on a DIY job. The book is very clear that boilers must be left to the so-called 'professionals' who've paid their subs to Gas Safe.

Also, a read through should help you determine when a wide-boy plumber is BSing you on what needs to be done.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 February 2015
This is an excellent book. We bought it for someone starting in the trade and it was brilliant. Highly recommended.