on 22 February 2017
My daughter is doing a PGCE and this book was recommended to her by the school where she currently works as a teaching assistant. The book is thorough and has proved to be very helpful to her for her upcoming QTS. She is friends with a few other people that are doing both the QTS and PGCE and they all seem to have this book too.

There are 101 pages and the text is neatly and clearly printed on white paper. The index is broken up into Acknowledgements, About the author, series of introductions and introduction. The chapters are :- key knowledge, mental arithmetic, solving written arithmetic problems, interpreting and using written date, practice mental arithmetic and on-screen tests, answers and key points. There are also further reading and a glossary section at the back of the book.

The author until recently was a senior lecturer in mathematical education.
on 24 June 2017
This book is brilliant. It really highlights everything you need to know. I like the way he presents the material and gets you stuck in immediately to do calculations. Before you know it you've finished the book .

When I did the tests in the book, I would get over 60%, but when I did online practice tests only 30%. However, I took my numeracy test yesterday and failed only by 1 mark! I found the test actually easier than online tests. I think you need to supplement the book with watching online you tube videos too because these videos provide other shortcuts and tips not in this book.
on 23 February 2017
If you want to learn good methods to work things out it is particularly useful, especially for the mental maths. Though this book is much more simple than the Vali Nasser one which I also bought. No faults really, clearly explains what needs explaining in a very simple manner and I passed my test first time. Especially good when you want extra practice questions, there are only 4 papers online from the DfE. Everything you need in one place. But this is definitely a revision purpose book more than something which wholly explains everything you need to know. Relatively simplistic - but if this is what you want it's fine.
on 2 June 2017
Great excellent practise still working on it and watching it on Youtube, hopefully will do trick and help me pass the QTS Numeracy.
on 7 June 2017
Great book! Helped me so much to pass my skill tests for my PGCE.
on 8 January 2013
Pages 52-62 are missing and some of the answers dont correspond with the question. Never seen so many mistakes in a book.
33 Comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 May 2017
Brilliant book! Lots of helpful tips and questions, this combined with the online practise tests from gov.uk helped me to pass first time!!! A great purchase for anyone looking to compleate their professional skills test in numeracy!!
on 13 June 2017
Helpful. There are also online resources.
on 10 June 2017
did it for me
on 28 May 2017
Very good book and will prepare anyone doing their qts test