Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 May 2014
This is the latest in a long line of novels based around the end of the Plantagenets and the start of the Tudors. Elizabeth of York marries Henry VII after he defeats her lover (and Uncle) Richard III in battle. This is her story of the turbulent years of his reign, having his children (including Henry VIII) and living in a divided country. The Cousin's War is over (Yorks against Lancasters) but now it's Yorks against Tudors.

Philippa Gregory is my favourite author at the moment. I've read all her books based around this period of history, starting with 'The Other Boleyn Girl' working forwards to 'The Other Queen' (Mary Queen of Scots) and then backwards to 'The Lady of The Rivers' (Jacquetta, grandmother to 'The White Princess'). I'm utterly obsessed with Tudor times so I was bound to enjoy this book which links up with 'The Constant Princess' (Catherine of Aragon).

Gregory has a way with words, her books are effortless to read, the characters are gripping and the action is always dramatic and fascinating. I love the other side of history which she gives, in 'The Kingmakers Daughter' we see the softer side of Richard III, how he was devoted to his brother Edward IV and torn apart with his other brother, George's deceptions. The best part of this novel is how it answers and yet doesn't answer the mystery of the Princes in the tower, who killed them, were they actually Edward IV's sons or imposters?

These novels are based on huge amount of research and a pinch of artistic license, history told from the women's point of view is always going to be slightly different (and more interesting) to what we've been taught in schools. Gregory manages to bring history alive and I can actually picture myself there, in the thick of it and loving every minute. I highly recommend all the books mentioned above, they are all superbly rich and evocative, you won't even realise you're learning things until it's too late.

Rating: 5/5
on 9 April 2017
I can't recommend this book enough- I was riveted from start to finish . The author backs up her theories on the disappearance of the Princes in the Tower with the evidence/ opinions of dozens of historical texts and books - in particular the romance between RICHARD and his niece Elizabeth. Why would she love a man who murdered her brothers ? Far more likely that Henry VII and his mother did the deed - they had so much more to gain. All of this is entwined in a riveting story that the author paints of the war between the two houses through the eyes of Elizabeth. A must buy.
on 7 September 2013
I liked this book for what it is - a great read. Although based on fact, Miss. Gregory always gives her own slant on what could have happened, but it still doesn't answer the question - Why did Elizabeth become so 'grey' from being a vibrant princess to Tudor's consort with little to say. Was she going to marry Richard? I don't think I could believe that, he would never have done such a thing to his brother's memory and I don't believe he would have hurt Anne Neville the way this book insinuates. Did she know the whereabouts of her brothers? I think perhaps she did, one or both of them. Perhaps that is why her mother secluded herself in a convent, to be able to plot without have the Tudor's spies looking over her shoulder all the time. I suppose these are questions we will
know, but now we have Richard's DNA, surely this would be a good time to DNA test the bones in the urn, supposedly the remains of the Princes.
on 29 December 2014
You will not be able to put this book down. It is thrilling, gripping, shocking and beyond belief but probably not far from the truth. History could so easily have been different.
on 12 October 2013
I have read all the other books in the series so had to buy this one. A period I knew little about but highly enlightening and as always, entertaining. Philippa Gregory brings history alive and concentrates on people who were before only in the shadows. Never mind the history lessons at school - let the students read her books and enjoy a subject which seems boring - but from her most certainly is not. If you have read the others you have to carry on and read this one. All I want to know is - when will there be more? I've got all the Tudor ones as well as her novels! I need to know what is coming next, I'm an addict.
on 15 September 2013
Another triumph for Philippa Gregory.. She made suggestion to the disappearences of the two York Princes but still kept the mystery of their deaths.. She made suggestion as to "the boy" and his real heritage but still kept the mystery of who he really was. Blending historical fact with fiction at its best..
on 9 June 2017
I have read all of the Cousins' war series and enjoyed every one of them. Well written and historically interesting and informative.
on 1 May 2017
exellent book i am enjoying reading.
on 3 March 2017
I was intrigued by the concept of this book.
The characters were interesting and exciting.
I would recommend this book to everyone.
on 31 May 2017
I couldn't put it down. It's not historically accurate but you don't go to Philippa Gregory for that. Enjoyable recommended read.