on 8 March 2012
I bought this book last weekend and have already tried several recipes. The slow cooked chilli using a hint of paprika and chorizo gives a new spin on an old classic. Also tried Victoria's lasagne cooked especially for my teenage son and his friends - it got a definate thumbs up. The recipe's are delicious and Lisa's approach to cooking for her family and friends is delightful.
on 1 March 2012
This is a lovely book, full of manageable recipes for the whole family to make. Lisa's love of cooking is evident and comes through with the little stories she tells with each recipe. A wonderful addition of my quite extensive cookbook collection.
on 6 March 2012
Like most people I've had my share of cookbooks, but this is the first I've read all the way through, picking up ideas as I go.

Not only is a lovely book full of inspiring, beautiful photos with a very British jubilee feel to them, it also tells a wonderful story and introduces each recipe with a personal story from Lisa Faulkner. The introduction is very inspiring and moving, ordinarily I would of said this type of introduction was unnecessary for a cookbook. However it isn't, it sends me back to my childhood and the food I grew up with and got me in the mood to cook.

Although Lisa's culinary fame came about through winning Celeb Master Chef, the recipes are suited for all abilities. Many cookbooks I own have dishes way out of my cooking range, this book has wide selection suitable for all skill levels.

My favourite dishes so far that I've tried are rice crispie chicken, Betty's corned beef pie, macaroni cheese and the amazing Beef Wellington. Beef Wellington is my favourite dish of all time and this is the only recipe I've managed to pull off with great reviews from friends and family. I never need to buy store made again! The book is divided into seasons, I can't wait for summer to try some of the delicious looking BBQ dishes.

Overall this is a lovely book, with lovely recipes, lovely photos with a lovely personal touch from the lovely Lisa Faulkner.

Highly recommended.
on 23 March 2012
I own hundreds of cookery books. Delia has long been one of my tutors and I've evolved with a sprinkling of Josceline Dimbleby, a good dollop of Jamie Oliver and a squeeze of Nigella.

Why then do I need another cookery book?

Lisa's book and is much more than a cookery book. Her recipes look tempting and easy to make and really look like they will work and become favourites with my family too.

What is different is her life story interwoven with her recipes - quite enchanting to read and brought many a tear to my eye. I'm sure her family are incredibly proud of her - she comes across as a delightful lady.

Lisa - if you ever read this, you have inspired me with your book and I'm certain your Mum will be smiling down on you.
on 2 March 2012
What an excellent and different cook book. It is partly auto biographical with interesting recipes and makes you want to experiment and try them.
on 3 April 2012
Recipes from my Mother for my Daughter

I was so excited when I discovered I could download this recipe book onto my Kindle. It looks to be a lovely book with good reviews of the hardback version. I spend time abroad and imagined this would make it so easy to have my recipe books both at home and away. Unfortunately, the book is unusable even on the highest font. I guess the type face in the paper version must be in different colours, none of which have reproduced well on the Kindle. The lack of contrast makes it impossible to see unless you have a good light and a magnifying glass. Not a good stance when one is trying to follow a recipe. I am so disappointed because it looks to have some great recipes in it. I am left now wondering whether to buy the paper version but that defeats my original decision of having it on Kindle so I could use it abroad without the weight of the book taking up my luggage allowance. I do hope Amazon will be able to rectify this. I have contacted Amazon Kindle and they are to refund the payment.
I have given it 4 stars because I am not criticising the book - just warning other Kindle users to beware.
on 16 March 2012
Each recipe contains a personalised introductory note which makes the reader feel closer to the author. You wouldn't feel intimidated by a professional chef but rather cooking with a friend who wants to share her experience. Also, you will find pictures showing you how the final product should look like and how to serve it. Ingredients are easy to find and you won't require exotic cooking utensils.
on 10 August 2015
If I could choose my perfect format for a cookbook, this would be it: full of anecdotes to accompany each recipe; easy to achieve dishes; written in a font that won't have you reaching for the binoculars, and with a photograph to accompany most of the recipes (which will hold your interest).

Most of the recipes are quite short, therefore not scary for those among you who don't consider themselves accomplished cooks/bakers. I gave the book to a work colleague who is recently married (together with a mixing bowl, wooden spoon, set of measuring spoons, apron and spatula) and despite never having baked in her life, she presented me with the Fantasy Cake on Page 115 as a 'thank you' and it was perfect. I can't tell you how chuffed she was at her accomplishment and she has already made several other dishes from the book because, she says, it's "easy to follow".

Some of the recipes I've tried are:

Orange Marmalade (Page 194) - made this for friends who wolfed the jar down in three breakfasts!
Lamb Mince Curry (Page 45) - delish!
Slow Roasted Port Belly (Page 221) - economical and fabulous!
Pumpkin & Almond Soup (Page 139) - yummy
Meat & Barley Soup (Page 202) - great for using any left-overs from Sunday lunch

My favourite Sweet Treats (I'm a mad-keen baker):

Pistachio & Rosewater Biscotti (Page 188) - with an Expresso to hand and your eyes closed, you could be on the Amalfi Coast .......
Fantasy Cake (Page 119) - I used raspberries (my friend used strawberries - just as nice)

There are more savoury dishes than sweet bakes but if you are new to cooking and/or baking and get bored reading lengthy, complicated recipes - well, you won't be with this book.

It's at such a reasonable cost at the moment, don't hesitate - just buy it.
on 14 November 2015
Lovely book and well laid out. Recipes are very good including the only pavalova recipe that I found to be great. The recipes are the kind that you would use for daily cooking and not just for special occasions so highly recommend.
on 7 September 2013
I have had this book for months now and it is my bible. I've cooked nearly every recipe in it and have received nothing but praise which for me is unusual and amazing. Lisa has given me the confidence to try anything and I am so grateful for that. I feel like I can cook now. I could not recommend this book high enough whether you are getting started or competent.