on 26 August 2012
I was keen to read this after it received good reviews on Amazon and in other book review publications. I was expecting a through-providing book however I was very disappointed. I found I didn't care about the characters or their actions and the story was naive and unrealistic. The novel starts with a man about to jump off a ledge and a stranger somehow makes his way past the police to talk the guy down. They then just walk off and meet up with other people and the story meanders from there. I understand the reader is supposed to infer meanings from the simplistic storyline and see the characters as stereotypes of people in society, but it just didn't work for me. I plodded along a third of the way through and then had to give up.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 8 September 2012
From the title, it's easy to spot that this book, like Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist: A Fable About Following Your Dream seeking the point of following ones dream. The Coelho book is one in my experience that academics and critics hate while others are moved and inspired by it. I can understand to some extent both positions. But one reason I suspect The Alchemist has been successful is that it provides some magic and inspiration for people that gets them up on a damp morning when one has a headache. One cant knock that, because it's something cynicism will never do.

This book obviously aims to do the same. It's by a psychiatrist and psychotherapist, and encouragement is a part of the job. The author apparently has some interesting academic credentials, and on the evidence of this book can present ideas clearly. There is a lot of wisdom in these pages. But unfortunately, for me, the story telling to my mind lacks pace and fails to engage.

It starts on a bridge where someone is about to commit suicide. Someone, who we come to know as the Dreamseller appears and talks him out of it. The novel progresses to bring in other characters all going through crises, and we get to the end to find what it was that inspired the title character to begin his mission.

All this is told without the magical realism that Coelho brings to his novels. But I've no problem with that. It's not to everyone's taste. This last twist is nothing new, but it can be very effective if handled well. It also perhaps lends some authenticity to the character. But by the time I reached it, I was losing interest.

If the wisdom in this book is what you need, fine. For me it did little, There are better books.
on 16 June 2012
The Dreamseller is the name given to the mysterious principle character who appears one day in the heart of New York City .
Attracted by a crowd of onlookers at the foot of a high rise building he decides to befriend a distraught man perched high up above on a window ledge who is threatening to jump to his death. Edging past trained negotiators he moves out onto the ledge sits down with the man and talks him into becoming his first follower. So begins the story with an assortment of discarded society misfits answering the calling to follow the dreamseller and spread his unique philosophies on life , business ethics and the joy of just being alive. It's an inspirational wake up an smell the roses book that will touch a cord in almost anyone who reads this.
on 29 May 2012
The Dreamseller and his collection of followers seems to be a metaphor for Jesus and his disciples and reminds us of how difficult it must have been for the disciples and how radical Jesus' teaching was and still is. The Dreamseller's mission is to "form a network of people .. to rescue human nature, the instincts our species has lost... and to support all forms of inclusion." The book has challenged me to find in myself and others what those lost aspects of human nature are, and how to recover them. I reckon this book may well have the same kind of impact and popularity that the Celestine Prophecy had all those years ago. Treat yourself and buy a copy!
on 1 May 2013
I loved the book and found the style was great as for once it didn't try to tell you what to do, it let you draw your own conclusions. An inspiring and moving read. Great for anyone who is wondering if there is more to life than this!
on 29 December 2011
This book is well written, inspiring, funny and thought provoking all in one --I want everyone to read it because the world needs a dose of positivity right now don't ya think ?
on 14 August 2011
This book is similar to the Paolo Cohelo gendre, but I feel a fresh approach has been utilised to a most wonderful inspirational experience. A must to read.
on 24 August 2011
ATTENTION GRABBING AND HUMEROUS - BUT WITH A SPIRITUAL DEPTH AND INTERESTING PSYCHOLOGICAL UNDERTONES. A NICE EASY READ YET MEANINGFUL AND CONTEMPLATIVE.