Format: Hardcover|Change

on 17 September 2011
I have waited for this book all my life and the the wait was worth it. It is superb. I always felt that Denis was never given the coverage he deserved but this book makes up for it. Packed with wonderful photos and with comments from Denis alongside, it is a fine and worthy tribute to the greatest player who ever lived.Now, if we could just have a dvd of all the great goals he scored during his career, my life would be complete!
22 Comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 September 2011
This is a brilliant book about a truly magnificent footballer. Not only is it packed with hundreds of great photographs depicting his life and career, it contains Denis's commentary on the illustrations, which is often hilarious. A combination of the stunning action shots, intimate pictures from his family collection and, all the time, his lovely wry modesty, make this an irresistible package. They called Denis Law 'The King' and this, indeed, is a monarch among books.
on 26 December 2011
So I confess that, as a teenager growing up in the early 70's, I didn't like Denis. But that was entirely because he played for Manchester United, was Scottish, had scored against my Team in an FA Cup Final and regularly scored against England!

The truth is, he was brilliant and we all knew it and, as I grew older, I also came to appreciate the real character of the man.

This is a wonderful book. It's a very easy read, with Denis telling anecdotes with every picture, alongside comments from players he both played with and against, all of whom clearly hold him in the highest regard. And, as Sir Alex Ferguson relates, Pele once said that Denis was the only British player who might have made it into the Brazil team. That's how good he was.
on 4 November 2011
an absolutely great read form one of the greatest strikers, and above all an absolutely fantastic human being. they broke the mould when god made this superstar. an absolute gentleman
on 13 January 2012
This book was part of my husbands Christmas present to say he was delighted is an understatement. Its a really beautiful book. Thank you Yvonne
on 26 October 2011
I do not usually buy or even read "autobiographies" of sportsmen, but when one of my youthful heroes brought his out, I just had to buy it. It is well written, easy to read, and the many photographs it contains brought back memories of stars of yesteryear. Unusally for this kind of reminiscence, The King has nothing ill to say of anyone, which given the many kickings I saw him endure, is miraculous. A great Christmas present for MU fans, young and old.
on 19 February 2015
A great insight to one of Scotland's greatest ever players. The photographs just reinforce how "electric" the man was on a football pitch and they also illustrate what a pampered lot the current Premiership players are playing on manicured lawns each week. A great start for someone who never saw The Lawman play. It gives you a glimpse of just how great he was and what football was all about in days when players were not pampered, overpaid wimps.
on 13 March 2012
One of the great Scots.......ever! He was a fantastic professional and his enthusiasm is a fantastic example for us all.
on 28 July 2013
It is so refreshing to find a football autobiography that isn't boring or pretentious or full of swear words.
Great photographs and lots of funny anecdotes make this s great football book as well as bringing backs lots of memories. I lost count of the number of times I would exclaim 'I was at that game!'
Thanks Denis!
on 15 February 2016
He was my hero, "The King" . Brought back many memories and some interesting "Behind the Scenes" information !