Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 February 2015
Excellent; bought this book for my 18 year old son who wanted to use his savings and start putting them into shares. This explained an uncomplicated way of safely starting out in trading and explained many complicated points in an easy to understand manner. My son now has a lovely long term plan in place.
on 13 June 2014
This book is just brilliant! Author Robbie has the generosity of spirit to share all he has learned in this humorous entertaining read. He cuts out the jargon and mystery behind the confusing world of share trading, so that a complete novice like me can make sense of it all. I have much to learn but this book is an excellent starting point and I cannot recommend it highly enough.
on 18 March 2017
would recommend
on 6 November 2011
I should have read this before I starting buying shares and saved myself a few bob. This is a clear practical guide on how you actually trade. Almost as good as sitting with Nellie. I also liked the style of writing which made it very easy to read.
on 5 April 2009
This book really is a great introduction to the world of investing and doing so successfully. The relaxed style makes it very approachable whilst telling you what you need to know.

I bought this book after seeing it recommended many times and are definitely not disappointed I did. As someone with a reasonable level of experience, I found I was able to identify some of the common mistakes it highlights as being ones I've made and can easily relate to the investing style of the author. Hopefully I can now learn from the common pitfalls he mentions rather than having to make them myself.

The book promotes a realistic potential trading outcome. The author doesn't pretend that every share you'll buy will be a "ten bagger" and nor should you since most shares which will ever achieve that kind of growth are generally high risk. High risk shares should make up a proportion of your portfolio but never all of it. You might have the odd "ten bagger" but you'll also have a reasonable number of companies going into administration and loose all your money. Everyone's attitude to risk does of course vary so whether you take a more cautious approach to trading is up to you but regardless, this book should be helpful in avoiding too much of your capital disappearing in search of that elusive "ten bagger".

This book is not going to turn you into an expert investor overnight, that isn't what it is meant to do, but it will give you a good foundation knowledge which you can then build upon through experience and reading some of the more technical books which are likely to be too intimating to someone completely new to trading. I'd recommended this as the first book anyone buys but don't think it will be the last if you are really serious about succeeding.
11 Comment| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 October 2010
I'm a layman and I was looking for an entry level book that would walk me through the London Stock Exchange and how one goes about trading online. What kind of pitfalls I should look out for and what strategies I should adopt when looking to buy.

This book provided all that with a nice easy style of writing. Burns outlines a good research strategy and a good few broad strategies for buying and selling.

I enjoyed the read and felt well informed. I had e-mailed the writer before the book came in telling him I planned to day trade. I was immediately advised that 90% of day traders fail. So I read the book and now I see where he is coming from this is a book for the beginner, wishing to get his hands dirty in the markets and it equips you with the basic tools to do that.

A touch of cynicism, an informed opinion and a clear head are all essential. Thats what I know, and a lot more, and it only took me only a few hours to buzz through it.

Now onto some harder reads...
on 14 October 2011
A while back I read the second edition of this book and also Robbie Burns 'The Naked Trader Guide to Spread Betting' (Both Excellent).

I've just acquired the new updated (3rd Edition) and my advice is, don't hesitate, grab yourself a copy.

The trading and investment world are constantly changing. Doing this stuff without a fully up-to-date 'insight' carries risk that, personally, I'm unwilling to countenance. This Book contains most, probably all, that you need (other than a few quid to invest / trade with).

It doesn't matter whether you are a newcomer to investing, or have been at it a while. You 'will' find some real gems of info in this book.
(I've made it my 'trading handbook', and won't make a move without first reflecting on the advice Robbie Burns provides).

Robbie makes things easy to understand. He writes in a style that's warm and friendly. (It's just like a knowledgeable buddy is putting you straight over a pint down the pub).

The book is as jargon free as possible. Robbie makes few (if any) assumptions about your knowledge of the subject, so the content can be grasped by readers of practically all ages, backgrounds and abilities. The structure / layout make it a joy, and you'll refer back to it, time and time again.

Take it from me, you 'need' this book if you want to gain a realistic understanding into how a 'smart' Investor / Trader goes about his business.

I rate it as 'the' very best book on trading / investment I've ever read. (And I've read quite a few). If I had to chose only one book on this topic, it would be this one.

This book has the potential not only to make you money, but to save you a fortune by avoiding mistakes you probably don't even know exist.

By the way, Robbie also has his own website on investment / trading and has replied helpfully (and without delay) to a couple of emails I've sent him on the subject of investment.(Makes a pleasant change from the 'love em, then leave-em-to-it' brigade).

As you may have gathered, I highly rate Naked Trader Edition 3.

A great book (a great read). Enjoy.
on 22 March 2017
Just nope
VINE VOICEon 14 January 2010
I don't own a single share but would like to try to make a little bit of money through the markets. I read this book in a day (and will be re-reading it shortly) and I found it enormously useful and - naff though this might sound - really quite inspirational.

Like some other reviewers I found the plugging of the author's seminars and the Advfn website a bit bugging (especially when you log onto that site and see a link to the... Naked Trader site) but I wouldn't say that's a reason not to read the book.

Perhaps more experienced traders would find it all a bit basic, but he must be doing something right - look at the money he's making. And he seems to be very open about exactly how he does it and the mistakes he's made.

If you're starting out, or curious about how the whole stocks and shares thing works, I'd give this book a big thumbs up.
on 31 October 2005
I started reading this book over the weekend and only my son was able to stop me from reading. The book works like an addiction, once you get hooked you cannot stop until ...
I'm trading for the last year, with some kind of success. I'm trying to improve constantly my skills. This book is genuinely an excellent book which explains all you need to know to start trading shares in great detail and in plain and fluent english.
This book should be essential reading for all beginning traders.