VINE VOICEon 31 March 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I had high hopes for this book and although I had trouble ordering it, I persisted because it seemed exactly what I wanted for some training I am doing at work. When I first started reading, my hopes were still high. It uses simple, everyday language and is written by two academics at pains to come across as personable. But as I continued, I found that its gems are lost in its long-winded narrative. I was expecting more examples and exercises for mood improvement - after all, its subtitle is 'How to change your mood and cope with whatever comes your way.' It occurs to me that it suffers from being jointly written by two individuals on different sides of the world. It is a shame that there is not more on mindfulness - the current 'hot topic.' I found Dr Pascoe's introductions to Dr Law's insights particularly irritating. So there are a few snippets in here that are useful to me and the book's intentions are sound and honourable. I would suggest you look at alternatives before you leap to purchase this book.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Feel Good How to change your mood and cope with whatever comes your way.

The book.
-------------
This book promises much about how to deal with everyday events that can cause us all to have mood swings.

Does it deliver?
---------------------
Well on a very basic level it does point out much of the obvious. We all know generally why we are in the mood we are in and probably don’t need all the explanation in the book.
As for controlling mood swings I feel the book skates over the surface a bit too much and feels more like work in progress rather than a proper solution. However, it laudably attempts to help the reader deal with all the stuff that life throws at us each day.
There are lots of games and interactive elements that are sometime useful and other times I feel a bit patronising.

Overall.
-----------
This book is hard to fit into a category as it tries to cover many, on one level it tells us why we feel like we are. On another it tries to get us where we want to be. Overall I feel it needs more work but can probably be cautiously recommended to start solving any mood problems you have.
VINE VOICEon 27 June 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you are looking for hints, tips and techniques to deal with moods and want some immediately implementable strategies, then this could be a book worth looking at.

Whilst I didn't find anything brand, spanking new here, the book is a useful compilation of ideas covering a wide range of common human experiences - anger, frustration, distress etc and offers ideas for dealing with these emotions as they arise.

4 Stars because there isn't anything I haven't found in previous publications on these topics.
I've had counselling in the past to deal with anxiety and have used CBT with a counselor and have made this part of my life - anxiety can be controlled and worked at, but it's often not going to entirely go away. I always feel especially low between Xmas and April, so I thought that I'd try this book out to see if it offered other practical tips and help, especially as I'm learning to live with diabetes and some small issues with guilt over eating and exercising, as well as with stress of an ever-changing work environment, where it's give, give, give on my part.

The book does make a lot of sense, but it's a bit 'full of itself' and comes across as very preachy. The post-its that the other reviewer found helpful, I found annoying and time-consuming. Yes, the book was full of logic, but it was overly-wordy and at times almost read like a book covering law, with the many examples of various situations that illustrated various mindsets and studies/cases. I was looking for more practicality and clarity and understanding of when/why/how in terms of how I'm feeling and what I can do to get myself out of my funk - which I didn't get.

What this did do is make me realise that CBT is definitely for me, and that perhaps I've fallen off the wagon a little and need to re-focus. It's also made me realise that the Dr Jen Nash book that I have that deals with the mental impact of diabetes, is more suited to me personally, as it's a combo of practical advice for diabetics and basic CBT. I'm off to re-read that one.
on 16 April 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As someone who works in a caring profession I am always on the lookout for titles that I can recommend, so this book looked like a good option to check out, and thought I could also pick up a few pointers along the way for myself and family/friends.
Overall it does work to explain why certain activities or behaviours serve to improve your mood, but if you are already well versed on similar topics you might find this a bit tedious.
On a personal note I thought it could be a useful book for some people but like most of these types of self help books, it will work for some and not for others. Worth a look for most probably but I wasn't massively engaged and have to confess I did not finish reading the whole book....
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I admit it, I suffer from mood swings and can occasionally feel down for days on end. I understand therefore how important mood management can be in terms, both in terms of coping with the things life throws at you, but also in being able to work to achieve your goals.

This book promised much, but I found it relatively hard going in terms of the content, which I found rather unengaging and advice which though I felt was genuinely helpful, none of which felt like a revelation. For a relatively thin book it did seem to take me a rather long time to actually get through it, and whilst I'm certain that there is much to be commended in here, I do think it could be presented better and in a more entertaining manner.
VINE VOICEon 12 April 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The construct of this book was promising, but in reality the substance of this was really lacking.

The content for each of the well framed chapters, just wasn't there. There was the desire to offer a combination of psychology and science which is both accessible and practical. The anger chapter was laughably light of real helps for many I serve who face this crippling emotion. The offer strategies were very weak and situationally unrealistic, as I had hoped for so much more.......

So, not feeling so good!
VINE VOICEon 31 March 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
When you are down it is not always easy to rise above it but this book has some really effective ways of achieving that. We all get low days as well as highs and the secret is to deal with the miseries before they deal with you. Pascoe and Law have delved deeply into all aspects of moods and offer some excellent answers to coping and changing before it becomes a real problem. Even if a reader is not fond of books this is so pleasantly and clearly put together that it is easy to dip into or refer back to.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 17 April 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
It was ok as a general guide but skated a bit around the main crux of the issues and the advice/techniques recommended weren't perhaps as detailed or comprehensive as they could have been.
Quite a gentle approach to things but a bit hit and miss I suspect as far as realising the goals it has set for itself.
VINE VOICEon 26 April 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a very practical guide for dealing with one's own mood in daily life. This book draws on cognitive behavioural therapy and mindfulness for dealing with low mood.
DR Shane Pascoe and DR Graham Law teach that by learning to recognise "why" you feel the way you do, you can take control of your mood so that you feel more positive, regardless of what you have faced, or what the day will bring.

The techniques that are discussed will help you to work out why you feel the way you do, the reasons behind some of your thoughts and the reason you are experiencing a particular feeling.
Then this book will describe and help you apply some effective techniques to help you deal effectively with mood issues.